Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
larry528

Cost question between cement board and kerdi

Thinking about using kerdi in lieu of cement board....

Cement board isnt cheap, and it appears to be somewhat a bit more difficult to install, especially in my application, two boards thick IF I use the existing pan.

so, IF I use the existing pan,
can I just use normal sheetrock, and put kerdi over it, or will the lower edge of the sheet rock that sits on the shower pan flange, even covered with tile and caulked off at the bottom against the pan, still represent a place of future failure?

Then the next question is, if I decide to rip out the shower pan, do a mud bottom, allowing me to do a great tile floor instead of just the white pan, mean that I could use kerdi, the shower flange and make my own curb?

So the kerdi drains are like $90, and the kerdi approx 60 sq-ft, about $120, would that be all?
Unread 09-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Larry,

Kerdi is a system. You will have to replace the pan but you can make your own bed.

Have you read JB's "The Kerdi Shower Book"? It is an e-book and the best $10 tool you will ever buy.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you are going to go to the trouble of installing new tiled walls, I'd do the pan as well. While you have things torn up, look at the p-trap as well. If it is pvc, it's probably okay. If it's CI, you'd need to transition to pvc anyways, and CI could be fine, or a disaster waiting to happen. Building a deckmud pan isn't as hard as some think. If you use Kerdi to waterproof it, you only need one layer rather than two, so it is less work, and deckmud is cheap. Working with drywall is much cheaper and easier than cbu, too.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Rich Turley

When I read your question It sounds like you are not talking about a traditional shower pan, but a fiberglass receptor. If that is the case then yes, you can use the Kerdi over sheetrock and the pan. End the sheet rock at the top of the fiberglass receptor and run the Kerdi past the end of the sheetrock into the receptor.

Rich
Rich Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Quote:
Cement board isnt cheap, and it appears to be somewhat a bit more difficult to install, especially in my application, two boards thick IF I use the existing pan.
Why could you not shim your studs and use 1 layer??

Kerdi Costs more........At least double the cost of CBU and its main benefits are not realized with a fiberglass pan.

Remember, you still have the cost of Sheetrock and since you cant overlap at the base you have an End point where the Sheetrock needs to be sealed or moisture will get to it and wick up and ruin the installation.
If moisture Does get to the Durock (or other CBU) it will not damage the board.......the advantages of Kerdi are that you completely encapsulate everything in conjunction with a Kerdi Pan assembly.......since you will not be doing this a standard CBU installation should serve you well...........Of course everyone knows I am NOT a huge Fan of Kerdi for anything other than its applications as Used with Ditra.

Thats My story and I'm stickin to it

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase