Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
dirt diggler

type of shower curb for a cultured marble shower pan

Hey, just seeing if anyone out there could give me some info on how to build the curb for my shower. i had a local company build a cultured marble shower "base" for my shower. the base was poured into a fiberglass tray that extends upward about 32". after the shower base was installed i installed the cement backer board (1/2") to the walls and it extends down into the inside of the lip of the shower base. two questions-
1. should there have been one of the ruberized/plastic shower pan liners installed before this cultured marble base was put in?

2. the front side of the base is against 3 stacked 2x4's (the curb). Do i use wire lathe and mortar to build the curb. will it adhere to the cultured marble base?
thanks for your advice and time.

-dirt
dirt diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dirt.

I'm gonna go on the presumption that you're not makin' this up.

This cultured marble "base" was poured in place?

Was the fiberglass "pan" connected to a drain before the cultured marble was poured? Was it leak tested first?

And the fiberglass goes up the walls thirty-two-inches?

Can you post us a picher of this installation? We like pichers.
Preferably during the process, if possible.

I'm gonna withhold comment on how to proceed with the curb until we get some more detail, OK? And you gotta forgive anything that sounds like sarcasm here. It's not at all. It's just that every time we think we've seen every possible variation of building a shower, somebody comes along with a completely different idea.

Suffice it to say you're not yet ready for the lath and mud. You'll need to waterproof the top of the curb into the pan and up the jamb walls a little before you want to do that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
dirt diggler

Hey CX thanks for the reply. i did not edit my questions. the cultured marble base was done in a shop outside the house and brought in. i will try to send a pic. the base sits in a fiberglass tray. this tray has a 2-3" lip (oops i put 32", big difference). the entire unit, was brought in and the plumber installed it onto the drain. hope this helps thanks for your time. so what do you think about the curb? pic attached (would another angle be better?
Attached Files
File Type: zip shower curb2.zip (57.9 KB, 445 views)
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
dirt diggler

any advice???

Does anyone have any advice on curb installation for a solid surface shower pan (base). lathe and mud? cement board? see picture attached. thanks for the help.
-dirt
Attached Files
File Type: zip shower curb2.zip (119.1 KB, 329 views)
Unread 08-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
river-wear

Hi - I saw your post in your other thread. It would be better if you keep all of your questions in one thread so people will know the history of your project. Every time you post to it, it goes to the top of the list so people will see it.

I didn't want to open a .zip file and suspect that might be the issue with not getting a response. Can you reduce the size of your photos and post them here? You'll get a better response. Or at least post them on a hosting site like photobucket so people only have to click a link. (People are cautious about downloading things these days.)

Here's a link to posting photos if you need it:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=14926

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

DD,

Is the link below the same project?

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53190

If so, it is best to keep all of your questions in one thread to make it easier to follow the history.

(Looks like Michele is a quicker typer)

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
dirt diggler

thanks for the advice how is this

trying to repost the picture
hope this works
Attached Images

Unread 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
tile mom

Hi dd- is there a pre-slope in that pan? looks pretty flat...

I don't quite understand the plan. Can you explain what went on stage by stage?
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
dirt diggler

thanks memmy!

This bathroom is all part of the nesting behaviors in getting ready for the newborn. exciting. Well here is how it has gone.
1. i tore out the old bathtube and wanted to install a shower. i am on a concrete slab. the drain was moved to the center as you can see in the picture. because of the closeness of the shower to the toilet drain i my choices for bying a premade shower base were limited. so... i had this composite pan/base made.
2. now.. the base is solid surface. it sits in a fiberglass trey that extends up from the base about 3".
3. the installer did not put a plastic/pvc shower pan liner under this.
4. he also mounted the 2x4's you see against the front edge of the base.
5. i put the hardibacker in which extends down over the fibergalass lip and extends within 1/2" of the shower base.

S0.. as far as the curb, will deck mud adhere to this base? or would i build it out of more hardibacker. wouldn't the hardibacker flex? and i don't want screws on the inside of the curb. The slope on the pan seems to be adequate.
thanks for the help. any advice?
-dirt
Unread 08-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've combined your other thread here, Dirt. Please bookmark this one and use it for all the project questions so folks can keep up with the history.

Do you plan to tile the floor of this shower?

Is your drain connected to the fiberglass pan or to the cultured marble base? I can't tell from your description.

I think you'll need to make a mud curb as with a traditional pan, but you must first waterproof the top of the curb both to the fiberglass pan and up the jambs a few inches. If you didn't at least install a moisture barrier behind the CBU and lap it down over the fiberglass and around the corner of the jambs, I think you have problems to address.

Your second pichture is way too small for me to see any detail at all, and I can't see much in the first one. Not enough, anyway. See can't you do a better job on that and show us the areas at the bottom of the door jambs and any photo you may have prior to the CBU installation.

My opinion worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
dirt diggler

Trying To Get Better Pics

Hello All, thanks for all of the adivce, hopefully i will get these pictures better this time, so you can see what i am talking about. thanks. still looking for ideas on material to build curb. thanks.

The hardibacker that i put down comes over the fiberglass lib around the solid surface shower base. The drain is attached to this base. when i installed the hardibacker i first put a layer of 8mil plastice on the wall that also runs down about 1/4" from the shower base. thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Unread 08-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
dirt diggler

thanks for the help

Thanks again to everyone for their help with this project. From reading a lot of information from other threads and this site i have decided to go ahead and do the mortared curb. Am i right in assuming that i would bring the mortar all the way down to the solid surface shower base? I also read both of John's articles on building a mortared curb and making deck mud and i will use the mansonry cement for the curb. Can the sand topping mix be used for the curb as well? thanks!!!
-dirt
Unread 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #13
river-wear

The mortar curb sounds like the best approach, but be sure to waterproof those 2x4s first. You're going to have to cover it to the outside and overlap it on the lip of the shower base like you did with the plastic under the hardibacker. Then you need to figure out how to tie the plastic on the walls into the waterproofing on the curb (at the corners). That's beyond any of my ability so hopefully somebody will guide you on that part.

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
dirt diggler

help!!!! what is normal "mudding behavior"?

hey river-wear thanks for your time and advice.

well the mortared curb is underway! and i would not dare call myself a mud man. my wife has made it clear to me that "cussing" at the curb will not make it stay together !!!!!!!!!!! i think it will. it is not as easy as the article on the web site makes it out to be! i feel like this is going to be a doomed job. i have only done the inside and outside parts of the curb. the mortar is cracking and seperating at the top of the curb! is this normal. will it all tie together when i mud the top. the mortar doesn't seem to be sticking to the lathe like i thought it should.

&&&***&*^%%!
Unread 08-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

dirt,

Did you read this one in the Liberry?

http://johnbridge.com/shower_curbs.htm

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase