Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
sbradbury

Engineered truss joists and ceramic floor

I just started a bathroom remodel thinking I knew what I was doing with the tiling and then I came across this site, started reading and realized I really have no idea what I'm doing.

So, I have engineered truss joists, 19" on center, and as best I can measure 16' runs. The subfloor is 23/32 OSB. I had planned on laying 1/4" hardibacker ontop of the OSB with thinset, and then the 12x12 marble ontop of that.

Is this sufficient, or is there more I need to do? I know you guys are probably tired of answering the same newbie questions over and over, but I've been reading through here the last few days and don't see much talk about the engineered truss joists.

Last edited by sbradbury; 11-07-2006 at 08:40 PM.
sbradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A couple of things...you need to go read the ID info on the joists and probably call the manufacturer to find out what their rated deflection is...unless the plans called for stone tile, they are probably not rated for stone tile. If you can find the manufacturer's marks on the joists, one of the people here (probably Bob) can look them up and let you know.

A stone install also calls for a second layer of ply (at least 3/8" and I think I'd want more with your spacing), and even if it was ceramic, might be a good idea since the spacing is larger than normal.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
sbradbury

It's actually going to be 12x12 ceramic, I've had marble on my mind all day and typed the wrong thing in there.

Here's some pictures of what I'm working with... all the manufacturers stamps I can find and blurry and unreadable.
Attached Images

Unread 11-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
bbcamp

Those open-web trusses look to be at least 12" deep, so they should be fine for your 16 foot span and ceramic tile. It also appears that there is an interior partition wall supporting the trusses. If so, you can consider the span to be much shorter. Take some time to shim any of the trusses that are not fully supported by the wall. This will make your floor feel much stiffer and eliminate any potential for squeaks.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
sbradbury

they're 18" tall. It also looks like every 3rd or 4th joist is doubled up, including the main one that runs underneath my bathroom, which is only about a 5'x8' area that's getting tiled. I'll make sure to shim the trusses up.

So I'm feeling pretty good about the floor for my tile now. Thanks for the comments guys.
Unread 11-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Strad, Give us a first name.

I would screw down the OSB to the trusses. I know nails were probably used, and there are probably voids.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
sbradbury

Steve is my name.

Yes indeed nails were used. I will screw the OSB down before laying the backerboard. Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase