Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
jbcremodel

Send a message via MSN to jbcremodel
Unhappy Shower curb w/o a curb

Hello everyone. It's good to be back chatting with you.

I am a residential remodeler who does quite a bit of tile work, but I'm lost on an upcoming job I still need to bid on.
This gentleman has a "walk through" shower/bath area coming from his pool area. There are adjacent doors to pass through with a shower area on one side and the kamode and sink on the other(the doors disect this area through the middle). He wants 2" tile on the floor to carry throughout the entire area(including shower) Heres where the problem comes in: he doesn't want a typical curb because it will impact the walkway. He would rather have a hump to keep the water in the shower area. There is no slope on the floor to the drain because there was an existing fiberglass shower unit. To make things worse, one side of the house is level with the bath floor(there is a step up leading to the other). I'm not sure what type of mix I should attempt to float this hump with, along with what kind of prep should go into this before I build up this hump. I'll be up doing paperwork for a while if anyone out there has a response this late in the evening.
P.S. -how can I draw a diagram and attach it from paint for you guys to see?
Attached Images

Last edited by jbcremodel; 09-20-2006 at 10:08 PM.
jbcremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
jbcremodel

Exclamation

I just wanted to bump it up to the top to see if anyone might respond before I get going.
Unread 09-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Hi JBC. You been here enough to put your name in your signature line so we know who we're talkin' to. (Click "User CP", then "Edit Signature")
Sounds like a good prospect for the Schluter Kerdi system. It lets you do a single layer mud to keep the height down. You want to basically make the whole bath into one big shower pan that ramps up & then back down to the drain. Shower area is usually recessed down, but it can still be done with the lump.
Do a search here for the word curbless, it'll give you enough reading material to go all night. You'll be an expert by morning.
Unread 09-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
jbcremodel

I will give it a shot, Tom. I have a whole pot of coffee in me, and won't be able to get any sleep until I have devised some sort of solid plan.
Although, I can't really float the ENTIRE floor due to the adjacent room being the same level.
Sorry about the signature, haven't been on in a while.
Thanks for the advice, and let me know if you have any other input.
www.JBCRemodeling.com
Unread 09-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

You have to float the entire room, but part of it goes up & part back down. That's what helps you meet your height at the door, using the whole room to ramp back down.
Unread 09-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
SteveG91
Tile Man -- Oakland, CA.

And then there's always using a threshold. I really don't know why people are so opposed to simply using a threshold.

Steve
Unread 09-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
jbcremodel

The homeowner doesn't want the threshold, not me. He doesn't want any step up into that doorway. He wants everything the way he envisioned it, and when I get it figured out, he will pay for it.
www.JBCRemodeling.com
Unread 09-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
jbcremodel

I just downloaded the Kerdi Shower pdf, but wanted to send my post back to the top one more time to see if I might get any more advice before I begin reading it all.
Thanks.
www.JBCRemodeling.com
Unread 09-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
JTG

Jessie
When you are on the Schluter site look at the ramp they make. You can get enough of them to form the little hump you will need to keep the water in the shower area and not effect elevation at door.
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
jbcremodel

Alright guys, I am just about there. I download the Kerdi Shower Book, read through it, found a supplier in my area and now I can finally attempt to bid this job.
But I have a few more questions for y'all before I finalize this bid.
The shower area has a concrete floor(entire bath-all level). The walls are plaster. I would like to use the Kerdi-band at the lower seams(where the plaster hits the floor), lap the Kerdi-band down on the floor a couple of inches and use redgaurd on the floor or Kerdi as a pan liner-kind of. Or should I not worry about redguard or kerdi liner until I have built up mortar bed so that any water that gets throgh will make it to the drain rather than around it I have to build up for slope, but very minimally(of course at least 1/4 per foot, before you guys yell that at me). I would like to run the walls out first, to avoid making cuts around the hump build up.
This isn't my kind of typical mortar bed which I have now mastered. And this will be my first time using THE KERDI SYSTEM.
Thanks for all the help past, present and future.
www.JBCRemodeling.com

Last edited by jbcremodel; 09-22-2006 at 12:17 AM. Reason: half asleep mispellings
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Jesse,

Have you given any thought to saw cutting and demoing the shower area? Then pour a new slab that is lower than the existing floor.The experts on this site can probably walk you through the steps. If you put a "hump" at the entrance of the shower how will you slope the shower floor to the drain? It seems you will have to modify the floor to get 1/4" per foot to the drain. I think there is something about "accessible showers" in the liberry or one of John's books.

Chuck

Last edited by chuck stevenson; 09-22-2006 at 08:57 AM.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jesse,

I'm convinced that the "speed hump" I show in the book is the way to go. Just follow the directions.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #13
jbcremodel

Chuck, you think like I do. Unfortuately, the slab is load bearing and I don't want to impact the strenght of it. The h.o. is against this idea also. I think I will go with the hump for sure, John. It doesn't look too tough. My concern remains to be the pan area if I'm going to use the Kerdi system. I thought Redguard, if nothing else would make a good base or kind of primer for however I build the pan up. I thought after the Redguard, use thinset under the mud, build up my elevation along with hump. Then lay the tile on the thin mortar bed as if it were a normal bed.
Watcha guys think?
www.JBCRemodeling.com
Unread 09-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
jbcremodel

Still not 100% sure about the shower floor of this particular project.
It looks like there are a few more people in the forum tonight, so I'd thought I'd send it back to the top.
Hopefully I get a response, rather than getting booted of the forum for being so persistant.
Thanks guys.
www.JBCRemodeling.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase