Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Top Jimmy

Tile over engineered wood floor

I did some searching on this but still have a question. The wood floor is in great shape, glossy and not even scuffed. Nevertheless it is to be replaced with tile. It is glued down over a slab and I am not going to take it up. My first thought was to cover it with CBU using Tapcons. See any problem using a Liquid Nails-type adhesive? Since I am pulling the CBU down to the slab with screws I would think that I am protecting myself from any problem associated with the quality of the installation of the wood. My second thought was that using Ditra might be a faster method since I wouldn't have drill hundreds of holes in the concrete. Furthermore, since Ditra is an uncoupling layer, wouldn't the fact that there is an installed floor between the slab and the Ditra be mostly a moot point? But how to adhere the Ditra to the very glossy, water-resistant finish of the wood floor? Can I just scuff it up, then use unmodified thinset? Or how about this - couldn't I set the Ditra over the wood floor using the same adhesive that was used to install the wood?
Top Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
DonB

I think you'll have trouble with putting mortar on hardwood, even if it is engineered. I always tend to do things very unconventionally (which I'm sure makes some of the pro's think I'm nuts) but my first thought is trowel out PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive, set the cbu, stomp it in good and forget the screws. This, allowing for the fact you're certain the engineered is securely fastened to the slab.

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jimmy,

CBU is out. It must be put down with mechanical fasteners.

Ditra will work if you sand the finish off the top of the wood, and IF the wood never gets damp, but I don't think Schluter will sanction your installation. I could be wrong about that, though.

Most experienced tile setters around these parts will recommend removing the wood.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Mike2

How about some more detail on that wood flooring Jimmy? Type, thickness, finish, etc. I doubt any installation of tile over it incl. laying down CBU or Ditra is going to come up close to recommended practices as warranted by the manufacturer.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Top Jimmy

The floor is the standard oak-finish, highly glossy, probably about 3/8", engineered flooring that is being glued down all over the place around here (South Central Gulf Coast of FL). There is probably a moisture issue on the site since it is waterfront on a key but I suppose I'll know for sure if I take up the floor. I just REALLY don't want to have to do that. I'm afraid that I'll be scraping for days. The wood floor installers around here install over existing engineered floors (even bad ones) by screwing tapcons through the planks that have unbonded from the slab and then gluing over the old floor. I would think that the uncoupling function of the Ditra would make tiling over the old wood an even better solution than securing a new wood floor to the old one. As for dampness, the is already a layer of adhesive on the slab. Wouldn't a second coat on the original floor act as a of vapor barrier between the old wood and the Ditra, and whatever moisture penetrated that could be dealt with by the air pockets in the Ditra? I feel like this approach really buffers me from any problems that adhering the tile directly to the wood might cause.
Unread 07-17-2006, 06:12 AM   #6
bbcamp

Quote:
...install over existing engineered floors (even bad ones) by screwing tapcons through the planks that have unbonded from the slab...
That says it all, doesn't it?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
Top Jimmy

Could you expand, please?
Unread 07-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
EEEO
General (Tile) Contractor

What he's getting after is if the planks have debonded from the slab, the floor isn't going to be a good substrate for tile. If you're over a slab, I think it would be best to remove the engineered hardwood and set on the slab using a membrane like Ditra.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase