Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
chefwong

Call all Leveling Gurus - Self Leveling Compounds

Hi Guys -

This is somewhat OT but have you guys come across any good/great self leveling compounds that STICK.

I am using it here and there to level my wood flooring getting it ready for new flooring. It's an old house but lucking it's only bowing in 3/8" at max in the center.

The product I'm using so far is USG Self Leveling compound. Half of it is good, the other a reasdried as a complete layer but DID not adhere to to the floor at all. Some areas lifted, etc and is did not take the course of the pitch..

I may try wire next time around.

FWIW, I plan to also use #30 felt to give it some more leveling cushing when installing my hardwood flooring.

Any other products you might recommend that you have work with.
chefwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

We have a complete slc thread in the liberry that might help you..you did use a primer right?

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Not had much luck with SLC over wood when I didn't use primer..in fact I pulled that floor up.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Chefwong, if you're using a cement product under hardwood then you must not be nailing it? I would assume this is a floating floor product? Then you might consider the underlayment foam instead of felt; it'll make the floor quieter.
Try reading that Liberry thread on SLC. It's soooo importantant over a wood floor to follow the manufacturer's instructions to a "T": lath, primer, whatever they want.
Unread 07-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
bobturner

Most all wood manufacturers do not recommend gypsum based levelers. I prefer fritz f-10. here are some before after pics of a BAD floor that a customer wanted to do on the cheap without removal of the 3" of preexisting SLC and thinset. IT took over 28 bags to get it to 1/16" over 10' (which is what most wood manufacturers want) I wanted to tear it all out and go in with a mud bed, but he just signed a waiver and crossed his fingers. I only install it with the fritz additive/ primer, and it works well.

bobturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
chefwong

Thanks for the pics. It looks you did a gluedown.

I am planning to do a naildown for my 3/4" Santos Mahogny flooring. I will be using #30 felt underneath to cushion some of the dips as well.

My only concern as well is the SLC when the nails drive through is the SLC will fracture/spall. I'm going to do a test this weekend with a couple of nails and see how the SLC behaves.

On another note....the other half is telling me to gut the floor, subfloor and rework from scratch
chefwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
bobturner

You need to put 3/4 plywood down if you have any leveler underneath. The plywood needs to be 300 psi and if you nail through it it wont. Some old school folks just level with sand and float the plywood over that. I have done it a few times with good results. Just screed it flat and lay/ nail the plywood. I don't think you will have a whole lot of luck with slc and nails. In my opinion it is expensive for that application.
Unread 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
bobturner

Sorry, the leveler needs to be 3000 psi, not the plywood. a total tear out might be the best thing to do depending on what type of joists and weight they can handle(which might be why the thing dips in the first place)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase