Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
MarcSavage

My Shower Ceiling

I know this is going to sounds dumb but I'm new at this. I had this idea of installing a cedar T&G plank ceiling in my tile shower. But after so much negative feedback on this idea (from other forums) I've decided to tile it instead.

Problem 1: I didn't install Kerdi on the ceiling because I was planning on installing the cedar. Can I install the kerdi without overlapping on top where it's already tiled. What can I do?

Problem 2: Is it possible to install 16" X 16" slate on the ceiling or will it be too heavy? If you look at the picture below the ceiling is 66" x 32". The perimeter and the middle has been screwed down.

MarcSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Unless this is a steam shower and it doesn't appear to be one, you don't need the Kerdi on the ceiling, as for 16x16" slate, I have never installed that on a ceiling yet, I would use cementboard screwed to double the 3 of braces as normally would be up there, install the slate with a good modified thinset and put 2xs across under them to brace it overnight, just in case, maybe others can add to this.

Heck, we use Cedar outdoors for decks all the time, don't see why it can't be used on that ceiling, again, let's see what others say.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never seen cedar on a shower ceiling but don't see why it wouldn't work. You might want to cut the slate down to smaller pieces for the ceiling.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #4
MarcSavage

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah I didn't think there would be a problem with a cedar ceiling either...but almost everyone on the woodworking forums thought I was crazy. The general opinion was that mold would start forming right away and the wood would start rotting in no time. How my idea is any different than people using cedar for a sauna I have no idea...but apparently it's not the same.

What about my Kerdi question...I have the drywall up already and some spare Kerdi. I just want to make sure it will hold up the stone.
MarcSavage is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase