Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
kailor

Backer board thickness floors and walls

Hi, this is my second post here. I'm not quite sure how to keep all of MY bathroom questions in the same thread. Here goes:

2x10 floor joists
16" oc
8 ft. span
first subfloor layer, 3/4 ACX t&g ply
second subfloor layer, 1/2 BCX ply

Should I use 1/4" or 1/2" backer for floor ?
If needed, should a leveling compound be used prior to cbu-to-floor?
Secondly, shower: bare studs, what lb. roofing felt?, 1/4" or 1/2" backer for walls and ceiling?
Lastly, 1/4" or 1/2" backer around whirlpool surround?

Thanks so much.
Keith
kailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Hi Kieth,

Just come back to this thread when you want to reply and hit the "reply" button at the bottom of the page to ask a question or make a comment

Now on to the task at hand. That's a pretty sound floor. You shouldn't have any deflection issues there. 1/4" CBU is spec'd for floors - 1/2" is for walls as a general rule. Just don't use 1/4" on walls. You will get too much flex between the studs. Most tub decks already have a layer of plywood so 1/4" is fine there as well

Just remember to use thinset between the subfloor and the CBU - Manufacturer ( and us) say so.

As for the roofing felt, I use 15#. You can go stiffer but it's harder to work with.

Jason
Unread 09-05-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Mike2

Hi Keith, welcome to the Forum. Hope you stick around.

Any more questions come up, don't be afraid to ask you here. Jason's got the answers, he'll keep you on the right course.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Keith,

You can place this page in your favorites just like any other page. You'll always be able to find it that way.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
kailor

CBU orientation across joists

Does it matter if you lay cbu (5 ft. length) on the floor perpindicular to the joists, or can cbu be laid with direction of floor joists? I believe these come in 3'x5' sizes.

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Unread 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
bbcamp

No, it doesn't matter. CBU doesn't have a grain, and you want to avoid nailing into the joists anyway.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 08:20 AM   #7
kailor

Header required over shower access?

I will be framing the last wall of my shower stall this afternoon and this wall contains the entrance to the shower. The bare stud dimensions of the shower are 34"x34". Am I required to install a header over this shower opening? If so, how deep should this header be?

Thanks, Keith
Unread 09-09-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
bbcamp

No, Keith, your shower doorway doesn't need a header (if I understand you correctly). In fact, there is an advantage of leaving space above the door to the ceiling open. It allows for better air circulation and allows your shower to dry out faster between uses. As we all know, a dry shower doesn't stink.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 08:59 AM   #9
kailor

Thanks Bob.
Unread 09-09-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
kailor

When does floor leveling come into play?

Is floor leveling compound used on top of cbu? When?

Thanks, Keith
Unread 09-09-2004, 07:38 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

You might want to use a little thin set Keith. What's the probem?
Unread 09-10-2004, 07:31 AM   #12
kailor

Floor not level

I did a dry fit of the whirlpool tub, and from one end to another (length wise)was about 1" to 1.5" out of level. This BAD spot is NOT indicative of the entire floor. This spot just seems to be confined to this particular corner of the bathroom. Therefore, I need to do some leveling. My question is:

After the whirpool is set in a mortar bed, At what point in the entire tiling process do I level this SPOT and what material would I use to accomplish this leveling?

Thanks, Keith
Unread 09-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

That much, eh? I think you can use a slc. It will bond to cbu just like it bonds to concrete. I'm not really qulified to instruct you, though. I've never used the stuff.
Unread 09-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Most SLC's are not supposed to be used in the thickness you need. Ardex can be. To save some money on the stuff, when it is this thick, you can use some aggragate to help fill it in - most brands can be that thick, if you use aggragate, but check carefully. Now, this is from reading the info; I'm about to use SLC for the first time tomorrow. It's been a long time in coming - I've been somewhat apprehensive as I've got a larger area to do. I don't think I'd feel that way with a small area. You'll need some primer when putting this stuff over plywood. Special stuff, and not cheap. Probably cheaper to use a mortor bed? Would that work? Since it is a small area, I'm not sure. The primer you are supposed to use only comes in gallons for the slc (or larger). Far more than you need, and as I said, fairly expensive.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2004, 08:23 PM   #15
dreamer

Keith,

Is the whirlpool tub going to be surrounded by a platform ? Or will the floor under it be exposed somehow ? I can't picture that. If that area of floor will be hidden under the tub and platform, do you need to worry about it ?

You mention "after the whirlpool is set in a mortar bed", but that seems too late to solve the problem if it really needs to be solved. Could the mortar that you are setting the whirlpool in solve the problem by itself ?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase