Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-23-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
tim-b

Looking for kerdi install near Milford MA

Hi!

I'm an ambitious do-it-yourselfer that turned a leaking toilet into a full master bath gut and remodel, pulling an unused jetted tub for a steam shower. Steam unit is in, plumbing rough-in and electric are done (and permitted).

I generally do all my own work, so I know I get the results I want, but I'm not fast. Plot twist: Last week my wife saw a house that came on the market, and we signed an agreement to buy.

I was confident in doing this all myself, but now I'm looking to accelerate the project. I think I still want to do the tile. I like doing that, and have followed John's forum for a while, and have his kerdi ebook. But I think it's prudent to pay for someone's expertise on the waterproofing, since now I won't be the owner if there are any mistakes.

It's a small master bath. The shower is 70x32, ceiling not yet sloped. Outside the shower is 6x6, and I already have ditra for that.

So I'm looking for an experienced installer that has time to pick up a modest side job. PM me for details.
Unread 05-23-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
tim-b

I should add that while I think I'd like to do the tile, I suddenly have a lot to get done. I'd be interested in a quote for the kerdi and tile both as well.
Unread 05-23-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Just a reminder that there are new standards for steam showers and if I recall regular Kerdi does not satisfy the requirement. There are so many choices of membranes out there that a good installer is no longer limited to just orange.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
tim-b

I wasn't aware of that, and the schluter dealer didn't mention it either, nor does schluter's US website on residential steam showers. (My post count is too low to include the link)

Do you have a reference? I googled but came up empty.

At this point my criteria is trusting it is done right, it doesn't have to be kerdi. (I know which two to pick from fast, cheap, and good :-) I'm the typical engineer DIYer that overthinks everything, and settled on kerdi based on a lot of what I've read here.

I'll go talk with the he schluter dealer again and see about a referral too. I saw an older post here where someone found an experienced installer to do the kerdi and I decided that would be prudent for me to do as well. Since I'll be selling the house, it's worth it to me to skip the diy learning this time. I can live with my mistakes but don't want to give someone else a hidden headache.
Unread 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tim.

I'd recommend the USG Durock Shower System membrane for your application. Its perm rating qualifies for a continuous use steam shower.

The new steam shower requirements Dave mentioned are for continuous use steam showers and don't usually apply to residential units, which are not normally considered to be continuous use. There is no permeability requirement I'm aware of for the residential applications, but if you can get a membrane with a lower perm rating at a lower price and it's easier to install, it gets my vote.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
tim-b

Thanks CX, I'll take a look at that. Since I'd been reading about kerdi, this is like studying and finding out the morning of the test that they changed the subject. :-)

At this point I'd like to hand it off to a pro, but the "worst tile jobs" threads scare the heck out of me. Forums on specific topics (like this one for tile) tend to draw the enthusiasts and perfectionists, so I was hoping I'd find someone through here whose work is on the "show off your work" threads instead.

I'm definitely not looking for the craigslist cheapie. I'm already bummed that I'll finish it and move.
Unread 05-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #7
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Went to a seminar at Coverings on sheet membranes. There was discussion on Kerdi. Regular Kerdi doesn't meet the standard but Kerdi DS does.
I agree with you though to look at the USG system.
Mapei, Laticrete, and Nobel make some great membranes that satisfy the new standard and allow for the use of modified setting materials. Schluter now allows modified setting materials with their products AS LONG AS YOU USE THEIR THINSETS. Trouble is at my distributor they are twice the price of premium setting material from other companies.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #8
HS345
Tile Contractor

Kerdi can be used in intermittent use steam showers, i.e., residential steamers.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...i-steam-shower
Unread 05-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
tim-b

I looked at the Durock membrane. They want it over their cement board, where I already have drywall up for kerdi. This is absolutely an intermittent use steam shower, so I don't think I'm cutting corners using kerdi.

If I'd found someone to take the job and they wanted to switch that would be ok, but if I complete it, it's going to be Kerdi.
Unread 05-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

If I were building a steam shower I'd want mud or CBU for my walls, regardless the waterproofing membrane I elected to use.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase