Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
crashed97tsi

Sanity Check Please

Hello,

I have been working on my bathroom for about 4 weeks (slow, I know), and I was hoping to get some input before I mortar my backerboard (hardie backer) and apply the water proofing membrane. This is the first bathroom I have done and I want to make sure I have everything right.

First question - We currently have all the hardie backer hung and I am ready to begin mortaring the joints. From the videos and information I found on the internet, I should mortar ALL joints with the same mortar that is going to be used with the tile and an alkali resistant mesh tape. Is this accurate? Does this include the corners as well?

Second Question - The tile guy at the store gave us an idea to create a full length shelf along our bath wall. The shelf is constructed with two 2" x4"'s mounted directly to the studs. Unfortunately, I was not paying attention to the rule that any changes in plane need caulk in lieu of grout when he recommended this. Essentially, this would mean the entire shelf would have caulk lines instead of grout lines, correct? I attached some pictures to kind of show what I am going for.

Third Question - I intend to use redguard on the hardibacker for the vapor barrier, and I currently have the hardibacker installed a 1/4" above the tiling flange. The face of the hardi backer is past the tiling flange. I was going to fill the 1/4" gap with silicone caulk, and then apply the redguard to the hardibacker and down the caulk with the final termination on the base of the tiling flange. Is this acceptable or is it a bad idea?

Thank you very much for any help you may be able to offer. I am sure I am not providing enough information so please let me know if I need to provide anything else.
Attached Images

Unread 08-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dan.

1. Yes. Yes.

2. Unless you're planning to cover that shelf structure with more of your CBU it is not a good idea at all. And when you do cover it with CBU, be sure you slope the top of the shelf to the drain.

You would generally want a flexible sealant in the tile surface at all changes of plane in the backing material and I'd recommend you do that at the wall/shelf joint. The outside corner of the shelf I would grout to make it a better wear corner, but see my warranty information below.

3. You do not require a vapor barrier anywhere in a standard residential shower. You do need a waterproofing membrane and RedGard will serve well for that except for the wall/tub area as you've constructed it.

I would not bother caulking the joint between Hardibacker and tub flange (serves no useful purpose) and I would personally not use a liquid applied waterproofing membrane in that area unless with a reinforcing membrane. The manufacturer of the RedGard has an open mesh reinforcing available, but I'd prefer something more substantial were it my installation. Indeed, I would use only a sheet membrane for that application if I had not run my wallboard on the drain side of the tub's tiling flange. But that's all up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
crashed97tsi

Thank you very much for the response Cx. I appreciate the input.

It sounds like I have everything I need for my first question.

For my second question, you indicated that it was not a good idea unless I plan on adding more CBU to the shelf. Are you saying I should add more CBU to the shelf than what I have shown in the picture? I can take care of the sloping issue with a shim and I will do so.

For the third question, thank you for the input. I apologize for using incorrect terminology. If I am understanding correctly, you believe a plastic membrane would be the best waterproofing membrane for what I have described? I can take down the CBU and put it up, I just want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks again for the input. I understand you are only providing options but I do put a lot of weight to the input of others who have done this before.
Unread 08-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

2. Nope. I just didn't recognize that you had CBU on your shelf in the photo. Thought it was just wood.

3. Nope. The RedGard is fine for a waterproofing membrane. Good product. I was simply pointing out that a vapor barrier is not required.

It's transitioning from the wallboard to the tub's tiling flange that worries me in installations such as you've done. There will be movement at that joint and your waterproofing membrane must be able to endure that. A sheet membrane attached to both wall and tub with a little slack in it would make me a lot more comfortable. But again, it's your choice.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase