Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 07-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
mrosspa

Cleaning Grout/steam cleaning/chemical cleaning

It's time to clean the gout in our porcelain tile floor.

My wife is considering buying a steamer for about $100. When I was looking at different threads, the impression I was left with was that a unit of this price wasn't going to adequately do the job. The price I saw on other threads was a steamer costing $2200. She won't want to spend that much money.

Is there a steamer that would do a good job, but is less expensive?

If Steam cleaning isn't a reasonable option, what chemical cleaner do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Mike

Depending on how frequently you want to do the steam cleaning will affect what you should consider. If the floor is already clean, then a steamer for ongoing regular maintenance is fine. If the floor & grout is dirty, you could rent one from Rental Yard or Home Depot.

They are not necessarily the quickest or effective way to get the job done.

I have done jobs that the homeowner gave up on using their steamer, because their patience wore out.

I have great success using a tile and grout specific high alkaline cleaners on heavily soiled tile and grout.

Could you post a picture, and state how many square feet you have to clean/maintain?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
mrosspa

That is a bit embarassing, I don't recall getting a notification that you replied to my post. I'm sorry about the delay. I'm adding two images of clean and dirty grout.

The tool for shrinking file size is great. My photo program wouldn't get the file size below 178K.

We haven't decided to make cleaning the grout into a marathon, or clean and seal piecemeal.
Attached Images

Unread 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mike, you can usually attach photos that are up to 2Mb in electronic size and the program will re-size it for you and post it. If you'll use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box you'll see a prominent note about that labeled Image Posting Tips.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Stone Dude

You don't need to steam clean, and a steam cleaner that cost's $100 is essentially a wet mop that spews vapor out of the front. They are nearly worthless.

I would use a heavy duty stone cleaner or alkaline degreaser and a nice grout brush.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Mike

Thanks for the photo's.

You didn't mention how many square feet of floor you have to clean.

As Cameron and I both mentioned, a tile and stone specific high alkaline cleaner would be the most economical and productive.

One example would be Aqua Mix Grout Deep Clean.

Don't forget the grout brush Cam mentioned! Here's a grout brush that will get you off your hands and knees.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
David Bonasera

Yep, Cameron and john are right.

I have a really nice steamer I bought in the 90's. I will send it to you at no cost.

The best and correct way to clean is to use the right product, scrub it and then scrub it again, give some time, and again, then
pick it up with a wet/dry vac and then rinse, A wet/dry vac you should have incase you have a flood in your home,
Then a water rinse and this will keeping you on your feet, you will do the job correctly.

Follow Cameron's directions and more. You will be one your way to great cleaning procedures for years. And please use the right products.

http://www.davethemarbleguy.com/

Last edited by David Bonasera; 07-19-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: it was the procedures that was important.
David Bonasera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
mrosspa

The total square footage is about 900 square feet. Not all of the grout is as dirty as the picture showed.
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
mrosspa

I'm going to have a grout cleaning party next weekend. What sealer should I use afterward?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase