Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Steve C

Tiling a kitchen countertop

I'm considering tiling my kitchen countertop because:

I like tile.
I'm cheap.

I think Spectralock grout would take care of one of our biggest concerns if we went with the right kind of tile (to be determined later).

Any of you have any pictures of tiled kitchen tops? Comments on same? I'm especially interested to see some that have been in use for a while.
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
astrojeff

Hi Steve:

We love our tiled kitchen countertop. I used matte through-body porcelain tile (Marazzi Graniti "Emerald") that had matching bullnose pieces and I grouted with SpectraLock. Since we used floor tile, they are bigger and have fewer grout lines, so they are super easy to clean. I've even used a razor scraper for dried-on junk. The porcelain is great because it never scratches and never stains. The Spectralock is great too. I wouldn't do it any other way. I think we calculated the finished material cost was about $7/square foot. If I had to add my labor into that, it would probably be $100/square foot

The only complaint I've ever heard is that you can't roll out a pie crust on the grout lines. That's the reason why we have a big butcher block. And a big wood block looks so good with tile!
Attached Images

Last edited by astrojeff; 04-14-2010 at 10:26 AM.
astrojeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase