Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
rvtango

Unhappy Val's bathroom remodel

Hello everyone!

It's great to find so much information in one place (this website) but I still have few questions to ask since I'm little nervous about setting tile myself.
(And I tried my best searching forums for answers before I start my own thread).

And as always I learn by doing things wrong ...

1. It's probably quite frequent with us DIYers but anyway ... I didn't put poly under CBU. Is that a really big deal?

2. I screwed up big time: the tub is not level by about 1/4" to 5/8" (end opposite to the drain is lower)
How do install first row of the tile? Can I just start at a lower side and cut it little bit toward the higher side to keep it level?

3. Toilet flange: grrrrr .... when I did the demo the red ring just came off the flange (shouldn't be attached to the floor?)
I'm just confused on how to put it all together since the ring is larger than toilet base. Any advice on that?

4. I didn't put CBU over tub lip but I sealed the joint between tub and durock with construction adhesive and will put more thinset when setting first row. Will that be OK?

Thanks for all responses!
Attached Images

rvtango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

2) depending on your tile you can start with a half tile on a level line and the 1/4" to 5/8" wont be noticeable.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Val, welcome.

1.Since that's done with, Paint the outside of the cement board with Redgard and that will make it water tight.

2.Start at the low end of the tub. Hold a tile on the wall and down against the tub and draw a line on the wall at the top of the tile. Continue this line level all the way around and bring the first row to this line.

3.Yes, it should be anchored to the floor but I'm not sure how it can be wider than the toilet base. The bolts in the toilet fit in the long slots that are in the ring.

4.If there is a big void, go ahead and fill with thinset, let dry and apply the Redgard over it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
rvtango

Thanks Brian and Davy.

I'll get a pail of Redgard tomorrow ... looks like Home Depot sells it around here.

As for the toilet flange - superring seems to be the only option in my case because replacing existing flange is next to impossible (without breaking the slab ) ... I've seen some fiction stories on some guys breaking ABS joints apart but I don't really think it is worth it.
rvtango is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase