Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
iwhitevt

thinset for tile over tile? - edited

newbie here and have done my own tile a lot in the past as a homeowner and as a GC, but been in a desk job for years now and a little fuzzy.

Currently in a home that unfortunately only has one bathroom. Getting ready to retile and wanted to go over the old tile to save time and effort vs ripping it all out. The extra height is also actually helpful in my situation. Old tile is a cheapo 12x12 fairly smooth glazed tile. Also putting a small 20"x 6 foot section of heating wire under part of the new tile.

Now, if I'm laying over top, what thinset/mortar/etc will give me the best adhesion to the old tile? Conversely, is this just a horrible idea? I did a test spot and put some cheap premixed on top of a tile to test adhesion and wasn't super thrilled. Did wash the tile first and hit one section with some 40 grit to rough it up.

Thanks for the advice.

Editted- original post asked about mastic

Last edited by iwhitevt; 01-17-2020 at 02:11 PM.
iwhitevt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ian.

I'm guessing you're re-tiling the floor?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

the mastic will probably never dry
Unread 01-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Ian.

Many challenges with using mastic, and one that springs immediately to mind is that the manufacturer of your floor warming system isn't likely going to condone using mastic with their product. And even if they did you'd have to apply it so thick that, as Jim says, it may never dry, and almost certainly not by the time you want to use it.

I've read here that some companies make a primer specifically engineered to be applied over existing ceramic tile that will allow you to use a thinset mortar to set new tile upon the old. Mapei I think is one, Laticrete might be another.

You'd have to, of course, ensure the old tile is still firmly set and that the floor is sufficiently flat for the size tile you wish to use.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
iwhitevt

Sorry guys! got in a hurry and used the wrong word.. basically thinset/tile mortar. Just looking for whatever product would be best for setting new 6x24 tile over existing 12x12. Or if in reality I'm a dumba** for not taking the extra time/effort to rip up the old one.

thanks!
Unread 01-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nothing wrong with going over the old tile, especially if the added height helps you out. I would use a primer first, Customs makes one you can get for Home Depot, here's a link.
https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-258.pdf
Mapei also makes one that can be bought form Lowes.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
iwhitevt

Thanks!!
Unread 01-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
MAPEItyler

Just make sure it is well bonded and clean. You can use a bond enhancing primer, it will increase the bond and make troweling over the existing tile easier. MAPEI has one called EcoPrim Grip. Then a quality modified mortar like Ultraflex LFT or Ultraflex 2 or better would suitable.

Happy Tiling.

productsupport@mapei
800-992-6273
http://www.mapei.com/US-EN
MAPEItyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase