Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
agstaff

Need Help with Starting Shower Tile

Greetings all,

I apologize in advance because I'm sure you've answered these questions a million times. Redoing the shower in the home I just bought. The bath/shower was tiled, but needless to say they didn't know what they were doing (tiles construction adhesived to drywall). Starting fresh from the tub up (down to studs). My plan so far is drop ceiling 10-12" above tub, install new drywall and an aftermarket tub surround, then tile above top of surround and on ceiling. Do I need a a vapor barrier? If so do I do felt paper or plastic? Would you vapor barrier over studs before drywall for surround as well? Will I still need to do hardibacker or wonderboard beneath tile as there will be no direct water on the tile, only vapor? Any help would be much appreciated.
agstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
johntrent

Welcome Agstaff - sorry to hear you are going with something other than tile for your surround - someone with more experience will most definitely chime in but I don't think you need a vapor barrier behind your fiberglass/plastic surround nor do you need cbu. No need for the vapor barrier above the tub or on the ceiling either.
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
agstaff

Thank you for your response John. I had contemplated tile but am concerned about maintenance, upkeep & cleaning. Fiberglass is an easy wipe down with lots of storage. I am not confident in my tiling ability to make it 100 percent watertight. Plus I know tile & grout is not waterproof to begin with. Plus this will be my first tile job so I'm thinking it will not be as fast as fiberglass.
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Eric Bock

Give it a try Agstaff! I'm a cop and not even close to a skilled tile layer. I wanted to try it so I bothered the guys in here for a few months and they walked me through the entire process. I have included a picture of my first try. I think it came out great, and not just the tile I destroyed the entire bathroom, ceiling and all. If you have another bathroom that can be used while one is out of order, I would try it. Plus I had an estimate done and they wanted over $4000, I did it for way less and had extra money to buy better tile.
Attached Images

Eric Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
agstaff

Eric,
That looks great! Pretty much exactly what I was looking to do with the dropped ceiling, u even have a window like me too. Is there a reason you chose not to tile the ceiling? Is the ceiling just drywall? Any concerns with it being that low with steam?
Thanks, Andy
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Eric Bock

I had plenty of support above so I used Durock instead of drywall. I was going to tile it but with two kids and a wife wanting use of the tub, I put a thin coat of joint compound and sanded it. Then I just primed and painted it. I have a strong fan just out of sight of the picture and if it gets too steamy I just crack the window.
Eric Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Theres no reason to worry about putting drywall in the ceiling of a conventional shower or tub-shower surround.

Project looks good Eric.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
agstaff

Thanks for the input Deckert, I could use all I can get. Glad to hear I can use drywall on the ceiling, way lighter than durock & easier to work with, for me anyway.

Even if the ceiling is dropped can I still do drywall?

If I decide to tile the ceiling can I attach tile to the drywall since there will be no direct water contact or should I upgrade to a tile backer product?

If anybody has any input what so ever I'm more than appreciative.

Thanks everbody!
Unread 01-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
bbcamp

You can use drywall on the dropped ceiling, tile or no tile. Portions of the walls and the ceiling above the shower head are conisdered outside the "wet area," so they don't need any special treatment.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
agstaff

Thank you for everyone's help thus far. Basically it's sounding like I only need a tile backer where the tile is in direct contact with water in a conventional tub/shower (no steam), as tile & grout are porous and will transfer some water.
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
agstaff

CBU/Substrate Question

What is the cutoff point for the "wet area" in a standard tub/shower surround. I have been told that you can use drywall for anything about the shower head, including the ceiling.

I have also read that drywall/greenboard is no longer allowed anywhere in or above the tub area.

Which is correct? Can anyone give me any insite?
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Andy.......

Drywall ABOVE the shower head (6" - 8") and on the shower ceiling is not frowned on by folks here-a-bouts' unless..... you have a steam or otherwise enclosed shower.

Green-board is no longer approved for use in wet areas.... period.

Not sure what you mean by "tub area" but...... if it's a tub surround your thinking of..... and the surround walls will get direct water spray or lots of splashing...... consider using Kerdi over drywall or CBU with some kind of vapor barrier.

Hope this helps
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Andy.

I've combined you with your original thread on this project. Please bookmark this one and use it for all your project questions so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

We can change the title to something more generic for you if you like.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
agstaff

Dave,

Thanks for the input. When I say tub area I am referring to the 3 walls adjacent to the tub and the ceiling. No steam, just a standard 5' tub.

Do not plan on tiling up to and including ceiling. Just want to make sure that if I do decide to go back and tile to and including ceiling at later date and it's drywall, I will be ok and won't have to rip it out and install some form of CBU.
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
GB Tile
Great Britain Tile

Ceiling

You will be fine with the drywall as long as it it is not a steam shower and the room has adequate ventilation.
GB Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase