Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like you've got a proper handle on it, Scott.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #32
Sclib

2nd preslope complete

Started at around 9:30am and was done around 11:30am....includes mixing and applying thinset (used a small v notched trowel because did not have wide heavy brush....sure its fine...kind of like scarafied.....learned that big word from the back of the Sakrete Floor Mud bag lol!!!). This one went quicker than the first one.

Tried a little different method than the first time. Built my Perimeter high point first, then dumped rest of mud into middle...much higher than perimeter. From there I tamped and used my screeds a section at a time to arrive at the finished product. I liked this method better than the first time I did it where I dumped all mud in at once. Just seemed to make things more manageable. Not sure I’m any happier with this job than I was the first one ( I was happy with the first one)...but at least it’s got the bonding thinset. Just proves there are lots of right ways to do things....and lots of wrong ways

Anyway, I’ll give this a couple or a few days to dry and then start thinking about the membrane.

Thanks to all who have chimed in.......hang in there with me....it’s a lot easier with your input than without.

Be safe out there!!
Attached Images

Scott
Sclib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #33
Sclib

Few more photos of second pre slope

Also, I’m getting a little better at figuring amount of mud needed.....considering it’s same area as before I guess that’s a given. But I will admit the amount of mud left in that orange bucket was pure luck.....wasn’t trying to cut it that close...maybe 3 or 4 cups leftover .

Stay safe out there!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 03-19-2021, 05:49 AM   #34
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Well done, Scott. All that effort sure will pay off when it comes time to tile.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #35
Sclib

Thanks Dan....liking 2nd pre slope better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Well done, Scott. All that effort sure will pay off when it comes time to tile.
Thanks for the “atta boy” Dan. Using this reply as my first stab at a quote....hoping it shows up.

Looking at the new pre slope this morning, it actually did turn out better than the first one. I used a smooth metal trowel to finish it so it is smoother and prettier than my first....I know pretty is not mandatory at this stage but its a feel good thing. There is one high spot in the right hand rear corner but it is high relative to the rest of the good slope....so should be fine to leave? Or I might just shave it down to rest of perimeter level....either way seems it will be fine. I know you said you weren’t a mud bed guy but just throwing it into the “for what its worth”dept.

Going forward with PVC Membrane on preslope tomorrow. Following Oatey instructions.

Planning to:
Fold corners and tuck best I can into stud notch outs

Won’t put metal fasteners (aka, screws nails etc) below curb level except on front face of curb. Plan on using roofing nails to secure as I have read in other threads they will stick out less. Less chance of CBU bowing.

Run the liner 9-10” up the studs/walls consistent with my stud notch outs

Use 4 pre fab PVC Dam Corners at inside edge of curb. Do I need them anywhere else?

Install top drain clamping ring per Liberry and instructions.

Install Adjustable Drain.

I purchased an Square Oatey Drain and am rethinking it a little bit. I know I am not at that point yet and have time to decide but, it seems now that it might be a bit harder to install than a round drain. Logic being you can’t spin it as easily at the end of mud bed install without messing up mortar around the drain.
Anyone care to comment on this issue?

Also, I’m sure someone will let me know if it’s not ok to post stock images like the ones below. I did notice someone deleted a photo of a Brand Name bag of pre mixed mortar so guessing I missed a rule on that one.

Hope everyone’s projects are going smooth and coming out as planned.

Stay safe out there!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 03-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #36
Sclib

Questions before starting membrane

Headed out to start laying my membrane but a couple questions crossed my mind and wanted to see if anyone would comment quickly on them.

Should I consider hanging the upper sheets of my durock and leaving bottom sheets off prior to laying membrane? Logic is that I would not be walking around or working as much on top of membrane....less likely to put a hole in the pvc.

Second question is something I noticed on floor mud package in Mfg instructions. Relates to top mud bed of pan. It states that you can start setting floor tile as soon as mortar will support traffic and tile weight. It then goes on to say that if you cannot set tile within 24 hrs of mortar bed install, you must wait 28 days to set tile???!!! This seems crazy?? Product I’m using is Sakrete Floor Mud without any added sand or cement. I did email the manufacturer and they confirmed this is correct. If this is true, thinking I might need to switch to a different product for my top mud bed as I don’t want to be rushed to install floor tile, and don’t want to wait 28 days.

If anyone has used this product in the past, your experience and observations would be appreciated. Any recommendations on another premixed floor mud product if I need to switch?

As always, thanks in advance!!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 03-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #37
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never used that cement so I can't say. I usually use all purpose sand and portland cement measured 5 to 1.

The pan liner is pretty tough but you can remove the top drain grate and cover the drain with duct tape, then lay a piece of card board or old carpet in the shower to protect the liner.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 06:10 PM   #38
Sclib

Progress! and another Question..Thanks Davy!!!

Thanks Davy...good advice all around!

So.....I installed the Blocking in the Left hand corner for Durock.

Also got the pan 1/2 way installed (now fully understand notching 2x4s to allow for thickness of liner....especially in corners) but stopped because I’m not positive about installing Oatey Dam Corners (think I understand how, just want to make sure it’s what I want to do at these corners and curb).

I have a question for those of you familiar with PVC style pan membrane over the curb. I have seen it done online and in this forum a few ways. I know I can’t perforate liner on inside shower edge or top of liner/top of curb. The way I was planning on doing this was wrapping curb with liner (membrane), installing Dam Corners with Oatey glue and then installing diamond lath and mortar over the liner and diamond lath before tile.

My question is, for those of you familiar with wrapping the liner over the curb, do you have a different way of doing the liner at the curb area (maybe without cutting and installing Dam Corners?.....and /or without mortar curb?

Any input on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks and be safe out there!!
Attached Images

Scott

Last edited by Sclib; 03-21-2021 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 03-23-2021, 11:04 PM   #39
Sclib

Portland Cement and Sand specific brand

Can someone please recommend specific brands of Portland cement and Sand to mix for Shower bed mud. I am not going to use the Sakrete pre mix due to unreasonable time constraints on setting tile.

I am assuming by mixing Sand and Portland Cement 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 myself, I can wait 4-7 days and set the floor tile (or sooner).

Thank you and stay safe out there.

Scott
Unread 03-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #40
cx
Moderator emeritus

You'll get whatever brand of Portland is sold in your area, Scott. It'll say Type I or Type II or, more commonly, Type I and II. The sand I like best comes from my local concrete batching plant, but you can use whatever is available to you. The bagged All Purpose Sand or Play Sand at your local home center will work, but you never know quite what you'll get in those bags.

What is the Sackrete mix you don't wanna use? What is the time constraint?

For any Deck Mud or Dry Pack the industry standard says you cure it for a minimum of 20 hours, but also recommends longer wait times if possible. Whatever time you elect to wait, for a better cure, you wanna cover the dry-pack with polyethylene sheeting while you're waiting.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #41
Sclib

Thanks CX...see type of pre mix below

CX....If you look up a few posts in the thread on 3/20 you will see my question regarding timing in Sakrete Floor Mud (pre mix). The timing is ridiculous in my opinion. See the photo with tile setting timing circled on the bag in red. Says must set tile within 24 hours OR wait 28 days to let cure before setting tile. I have confirmed this is accurate with Sakrete. Very odd to me. This is same pre mix I used on pre slope but that’s not an issue.

Thanks again for your advice on what to buy if I go forward and mix it myself.

Scott
Unread 03-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #42
Sclib

Niche question

First of all, thank you to everyone who has offered up advice. Collectively you have kept me from making some errors in keeping my walls level, constructing a good pre slope, framing etc etc etc.

So, got 3/4 of Durock up and need advice on Niche. Planning on installing 1/4” durock around interior edges (and will remember to slope bottom edge down toward shower).

My question is, should I try and leave some of the insulation behind back Niche wall as this is an exterior wall? Again, planning on 1/4” Durock on back face of Niche. I have included photos of Niche with and without insulation. Maybe try and leave 1/4 to 1/3 of existing insulation behind the Durock in Niche???

Also, didn’t have anyone respond to my membrane corner question earlier in thread. Still have not installed Dam Corners. Was hoping someone could/would offer up a better way to do the inside corners before I go cutting them and glueing on corners. Also looking for input on finishing curb? Is there a better/easier way than diamond lath with mud over the top?

Thanks again and be safe out there!!!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 03-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #43
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I can see waiting 28 days for a concrete slab to cure before tiling over it. We have spent days mudding dry pack floors over felt and lath and also over concrete slabs and have never waited 28 days before tiling. As soon as we are finished mudding, we start popping chalk lines and tile away the next day. Shower floors the same way.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #44
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's kind of hard to explain how I do my pan liner. I hold the liner up at the curb as if the curb was a full size wall. I fold the liner at the ends of the curb the same way the back corners are done. Then I cut the liner straight down to the top of the curb. Then let the liner fall over the curb. Then glue the corners on. I then add a small piece of liner, maybe 5"x 10" over lapping the glue on corner.
Don't know if that makes sense.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-24-2021, 08:49 PM   #45
Sclib

Thanks Davy...Curb question

Thanks Davy! I think I’m going to either mix my own dry pack OR go ahead and lay tile morning after I do the floor bed if I go ahead and use the Sakrete Pre mixed Floor Mud (per their instructions). I won’t be able to grout floor for a few days or even a week or so. I’m hoping this is ok? Sounds like from your methods this will be fine.

I think I understand how you do curb. Your xtra steps sound like do the fold like in the corners and then glue the extra piece. So it sounds like you still use the Dam Corners. Guess the xtra thickness is ok because you mortar over everything...is that right?

Also, I am on a concrete slab and was not planning on putting reinforcing mesh in my top mud bed? I don’t need the mesh in mud bed right? Mud bed will be around 1 3/4” thick.

Only place I was planning on using mesh was over curb before I do top mud bed. Then was planning on mortar over that mesh then thinset and tile? I attached a photo showing what I am following except the mesh in top mud bed.

I was thinking mesh and mortar over the curb membrane first, then do the floor mud the next day or couple days later....is this ok?

Is this sort of how you do your curb? Do you use same dry pack for curb or do you use different mortar for curb? (Fat mud?)

Sorry for all the rapid fire questions.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply. Trying to finish membrane in the morning and wrap curb with mesh.

Be safe out there!!!
Attached Images

Scott

Last edited by cx; 03-25-2021 at 07:55 AM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase