Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
Bretylium

Tile Shower install on concrete basement floor

Hello, I am building a tile shower in a basement bathroom (new construction). I have built a tile shower before in my upstairs that came out great. The drain is already in the floor from a very old bathroom that was demo'd out and a new slab installed around the old shower pad to make a completely level floor through the entire space (about 15 x 15 total area). The drain is flush with the floor so I will need to add a plastic insert with locking ring top (was thinking of epoxying/polyurethane adhesive it to the floor to set the lower drain assembly. So I will be left with the walls and 2 x 4 wood form for the base of the shower and bare concrete. At this point I need an experienced opinion. Since it is concrete I was going to skip the vinyl liner, put down modified thinset for the deck mud to grip onto, put a basic deck mud (sand, Portland, water) down and shape it. When dry I am going to then use Redguard on the sloped floor and walls, curb. Is this acceptable? I have read other places to put down a first slope, then a vinyl liner, then another deck mud slope. If I use the Redguard then can I skip this advice? The wood framing that comprises the shower are all sealed and treated with anti-mold treatments. Also since using Redguard was going to skip the vapor barrier behind the hardiebacker and greenboard. Thoughts on my approach?
Unread 03-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, M.

Yes, there are two distinct methods of building a tiled shower receptor. One is the traditional method using a pre-slope, waterproof liner, and second mud bed. The other involves only a single sloped mud bed, usually to a specific bonding flange drain and a direct bonded waterproofing membrane. I would personally not use any liquid-applied membrane for the shower receptor construction, but others do.

Don't understand what you think you'll do to your drain, but I'd recommend you remove what you've got and install a proper drain for your intended construction method. If you use one of the sheet membrane shower systems, I'd very strongly recommend you use that manufacturer's drain. The USG Durock Shower System is my current favorite and the materials are available on Amazon.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase