Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #16
rnln

that's good news. Laticrete Stratamat is more affordable. I am settled. Unless, if anyone else know any other alternative. It's long way for me to get to actual laying the floor anyway
Thanks everyone again.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #17
mark999

Sounds like you are getting ready to get ready
Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #18
BobbyNorthSouth

Mapelastic CI is about $102/3.5 gal bucket at Floor & Decor

Ronald, I've used about half a 3.5 gal bucket to go over a 150 sq ft master closet in preparation for tiling...so if a $110 out-the-door bucket covers 300 sq ft, that's around $.36/sq ft.

That's almost 1/3 the cost of the Laticrete Stratamat, and also meets ANSI A118.12.

You roll the Mapelastic CI on with a 3/8" nap roller. http://www.mapei.com/public/COM/prod...cci_tds_ea.pdf

The two products are probably an apples and oranges comparison, but I've got the same problem you do.

When I demo'ed my tile, I found more cracks in the slab underneath (but there were none in the tiles or the grout lines), and they used some maroon/brown paint-on crack inhibitor that obviously worked (don't know if it was Mapelastic CI).

If you're sold on the Stratamat, one of the site sponsors (stonetooling.com) sells it for $299 for 323 sq ft ($.93/sq ft), cheaper than the rainforest-named mega e-retailer.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
rnln

Mark999,
Yeah, I like to lay things out, include cost, before I start. And when I started, I like to stay on it unless somethings go wrong
Thanks Mark.

Hi BobbyNorthSouth,
Thanks for your info. Let me make sure. Laticrete Stratamat is the mat/sheet. I need to get glue to glue it to the concrete. But mapelastic is the liquid form membrane. I need to to roll it on the concrete, no glue, no mat/sheet.

If this is correct, can I ask if this Mapelastic bind to the concrete similar to paint, or it glues tight into the concrete, or it just lay on the concrete and you can be able to pull/peel it up?

Thanks Bobby.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #20
mark999

What kind of transitions are you dealing with? Sometimes that makes a difference of what type of membrane(thickness) You want to use.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase