Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #151
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I suspect you'd find setting without some kind of ledger frustrating. Here's an alternative that uses a carpenter trick (spring boards) and leftover Kerdi Board, although it could be almost anything. This won't penetrate your waterproofing, but honestly I rarely use it.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #152
dave.adams

Thatís good to know.

I suppose Iím a bit nervous about doing walls before floor in case the flood test fails. If it failed, then I would need to rip out kerdi on the floor and bottom couple inches of wall and reinstall, but would need to have enough exposed on the wall that wasnít tiled that I could actually do this.

Seems like if I do wall tile except for bottom 2 rows and then have any problems with flood test, Iím going to need to take out some tile by the time I lay new kerdi and try and accomplish the minimum 2Ē overlap. Am I wrong about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #153
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Honestly, I've never saved the pan and Kerdi till last but some here do, I know.

I Kerdi the whole shebang, connect plumbing if need be and flood test prior to setting tile. I've never had a pan leak, but I guess there's always a possibility, eh? I keep thinset blobs off the floor with cardboard, Kerdi scraps or carpet scraps sometimes.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #154
dave.adams

Gotcha, thanks. About to kerdi the floor and a couple more questions:

(1) do I need to wet shower pan down with a sponge so it doesnít suck up moisture out of the thinset?

(2) can I go ahead and apply kerdi band seams and corners at the same time I apply kerdi membrane to the floor, or do I need to let membrane set first and then do wall-floor seams and corners?

Old 10-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #155
rmckee84

1. No

2. It can all be done at once but be careful not to mess up the banding or membrane that is already installed. Sometimes its easier to let one or the other set up before going on to the next area, but it can all be done at the same time if you're careful
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #156
dave.adams

So I installed the corners and band at seams last night, and it seems be solidly adhered to the membrane but there are a few spots where it didnít lay flat against the membrane leaving a bit of an opening. Iím assuming water will get in at these gaps, so Iím wondering if I can just put some kerdi fix at these small openings to fix them? Iíd really prefer not to redo any of this.

Name:  1.png
Views: 136
Size:  539.8 KB

Name:  2.png
Views: 128
Size:  430.4 KB

Name:  3.png
Views: 131
Size:  549.6 KB

Name:  4.png
Views: 130
Size:  482.7 KB

Name:  5.png
Views: 134
Size:  487.4 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 10-14-2017 at 08:04 PM.
dave.adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #157
rmckee84

That would probably work
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #158
dave.adams

Some more tile questions:

(1) Does there need to be a gap between edge of floor tile and the wall? Is there a maximum allowable gap assuming that it will be covered by wall tile and/or caulking anyway?

(2) Iím using a 2 inch hexagon porcelain tile on a 12x12 mesh backing for the floor. What size trowel should I use to install this?

(3) Is back buttering really necessary? Certainly Iím worried about how long itís going to take me and that my thinset will dry out with the extra time needed do it. But my main concern is back buttering the floor tile cause it seems that back buttering will cause thinset to get into the grout joints, and they are so small (1/16 inch) that Iím not sure how I would get anything in there to clean the thinset out.

(4) Iím using a 4x12 subway tile on the walls and they have lugs for spacing that create 1/16 inch grout lines. Is there any reason I couldnít use larger spacers to create a larger grout joint?

Thanks for all the advice, getting close.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #159
dave.adams

Also wondering if Iím supposed to grout between tile and drain or caulk or run the tile up tight to the drain?

And if I should grout or caulk, then how big of a joint should I leave?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #160
cx
Da Home Builder

Dave, that's the only place where tile industry standards allow for grouting between tile and non-tile material.

Leave a gap of about 1/8th-inch. You can go as small as 1/16th-inch if you want to cut it that close. I wouldn't.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #161
dave.adams

Gotcha, thanks. Reposting my earlier questions so they donít get lost.

Some more tile questions:

(1) Does there need to be a gap between edge of floor tile and the wall? Is there a maximum allowable gap assuming that it will be covered by wall tile and/or caulking anyway?

(2) Iím using a 2 inch hexagon porcelain tile on a 12x12 mesh backing for the floor. What size trowel should I use to install this?

(3) Is back buttering really necessary? Certainly Iím worried about how long itís going to take me and that my thinset will dry out with the extra time needed do it. But my main concern is back buttering the floor tile cause it seems that back buttering will cause thinset to get into the grout joints, and they are so small (1/16 inch) that Iím not sure how I would get anything in there to clean the thinset out.

(4) Iím using a 4x12 subway tile on the walls and they have lugs for spacing that create 1/16 inch grout lines. Is there any reason I couldnít use larger spacers to create a larger grout joint?

Thanks for all the advice, getting close.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #162
cx
Da Home Builder

1. Yes, minimum 1/4-inch . No.

2. Whatever gives you maximum coverage (minimum 80 percent) on the back of each tile with the least squeeze-out between tiles. Don't know what trowels you have, but I'd likely start with my Ditra trowel (just under 3/16ths" square notch) and adjust trowel size or technique from there.

3. Probably not.

4. None at all.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #163
dave.adams

Thanks CX, thatís all very helpful. I donít have a Ditra trowel, and while I could buy one, Iíd just as well avoid the extra $30 if I can. A 1/4 inch square notch would probably be fine, just might make squeeze out a bit more likely?

I called the tile shop where I bought the floor tile and they recommended a 3/16 inch v-notch but that sounded awfully small to me, donít imagine it would leave enough thinset for tile application with good bond.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #164
dave.adams

Do I need to leave a 1/4 inch gap between wall tile and floor as well? Or can I put the wall tile all the way down against floor tile on bottom row?

Old 10-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #165
Redlands Okie

Shower Remodel

Make sure the squeeze out of the thin set does not affect your grouting. Itís a real tedious mess to clean the thin set out before putting in the grout. To think of thin set also can make it more difficult to get a flat surface when done

Wall tile expands and contracts just like floor tile. Maybe not as much but still moves. Also want to be sure it does not affect floor tile movement. A crack where they meet is also good so as to allow your material your using in the corner to get a good grip. Example of material in the corner would be sand or non sanded caulking.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase