Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
OldNMTile

Alcove tub intallation against a brick wall

I am working on a bathroom remodel in a late 1940s home and need to prep brick wall in advance of tile work. A full mortar bed tile foundation was removed and the original cast iron tub has also been removed. All wall surfaces have been stripped bare. The left and right alcove walls of the tub surround are stud construction and cement backer board seems the obvious choice. The back wall is sound brick. The surface is uneven (concave from top to bottom) and needs to be built up by as much as 1/2" in some areas to be plumb and flat and also needs additional thickness to bring it into plane with the lip of the tub. However, I don't have room to fur out the wall so I am opting for a mortar bed on metal lath over the brick. A couple of details that I do not grasp are as follows: How does the mud work integrate with the lip of the tub to make a good water tight connection? Does the lath, and then the mortar, simply overlap the lip of the tub? Or, does is stop at the top of the tub lip. Can a surface membrane be applied over a mortar bed in the same manner it would be applied over cement board? Also, I see numerous images of flat, expanded metal diamond lath applied to walls without furring nails but also read that 1/4" furring is necessary to embed the lath in the mortar. Does this apply in all cases and how is this easily accomplished for tile work? For tile backer board portions of the tub, I have seen/read some information that shows tile backer board overlapping the tub lip and in other places I see the backer board meeting the top of the lip with just the tile overlapping. Which is the proper method and how is the connection made water tight? Finally, I have most often seen backer board terminating plumb with the apron face of the tub and abutting drywall. Tile then bridges from cement board to drywall at the edge of the tub surround. Are there any alternative approaches?

Last edited by OldNMTile; 07-04-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: clarity
OldNMTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Well, you don't embed the lath in the mortar. You nail/screw up the lath and spread the mud over and thru it. I would look into using Tap-con screws with flat washers to hold the lath to the brick. Then a surface membrane can be used over the mud.

I would mud the other walls too. There are a few videos on YouTube on mudding walls that would probably help you.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase