Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-08-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
cal

Shower Remodel

Greetings everyone!

It has been awhile since my last post. I have recently completed my first mud curb. How do you determine the height of the drain? I understand how to determine the amount of slope for my shower. I have read several threads about tiling the walls first vs. starting with the floor. Would someone explain the benefits / drawbacks? I am leaning towards starting with the walls. The pics from JB's mud curb article show him installing the wall tiles and curb tiles before packing in the deck mud.

Great article JB! My brick mortar was not quite as stiff as it should have been. I had a little sagging. Not much though. The important parts are that both sides are parallel, level and straight.

I will try to send some pictures.

CAL
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Cal,

The height of the drain should be a minimum of 1- 1/4 inches from the surface of the pan. More is better, of course. The drain will screw up to about 2 in. max. Anywhere above the 1- 1/4 in. height.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

John left me a crumb.

Cal, some of us like tiling the floor last to keep from having to protect it. If you tile the floor first it'll need to be covered to keep from doing any damage to it while working on the walls.
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:24 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hi Cal, the guys didnt even leave me a crumb.Sorry i was a bit late getting here, i couldnt get in last night.not sure if it was our server down or my ISP.Anyways,you have what you need.i'll keep an eye on your progress.Best of luck to you!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase