Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-13-2022, 04:48 AM   #1
cmaugust

Lg. Church Floor Artistic Mosaic Advice Needed

Hi, I just joined the forum! I’m not sure if anyone can help me but I am in charge of creating 3 large (5’sq, 6’sq and 8’sq) floor mosaics to be set (in a mortar bed) in a field of 2 x 2 porcelain tile (main floor) in a new large Catholic Church in Charleston, SC. I have almost completed (am still tweaking) the rondel parts of the square inserts but some of the tiles are uneven in height because of supply chain and tile availability issues during Covid. I have an idea of face taping the rondel parts with tile tape first, flipping them over, pressing tiles evenly down into the tape, and then applying VERY thin layer of thinset to hold tiles in place. The rondel centers will then have to be installed in one piece into the mortar bed at the church and the bordering mosaic tiles will be added in sections to fill out the squares. I have included some pics of the current status of the rondel parts of the 3 mosaics. Please note they are still being tweaked as we are experimenting with the Ombré-ing on the cross and bird feathering techniques. Before I go any further, does anyone out there have experience with working with artist’s mosaics and/or installing them?
Attached Images

Unread 09-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #2
CharlestonMatt

Hello from Charleston/Hanahan as well! These guys should get you pointed in the right direction for sure, they have been super helpful to me along the way. Looks like you have yourself a nice little project there. Looking forward to seeing the end results.
Unread 09-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Dragonfly Tile and Stone Works leads a group of tile artisans that do that type of work and co-developed several mounting systems, ask for Lee Callewaert.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Kate,

If the too thick pieces are not too big, they could be sawn off on the back. I'm not sure what the precise problem is here.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase