Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
ohaya

Ideas for sealing gap at very bottom part of glass door "seam"

Hi,

We have a shower that has a glass door. when we moved in, there was already a seal at the bottom edge of the door, but we were having water that was leaking out from the gap between the stationary glass pane and the glass door.

So I bought one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DreamLin...1930/305605182

It just arrived yesterday and I installed it (attached the the stationary glass pane, with the flap on the inside side of the shower), and it works pretty well.

However, the stationary glass pane side has a metal frame or guide at the bottom, so when I installed that vinyl seal, I couldn't install the vinyl seal/strip all the way down to the shower tread, so there is about a 1/4" - 3/8" part of the seam at the bottom that does not have a flap covering it, so, while we are getting less water on the bathroom floor, there is still a little, and we think it is mainly coming from that part.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix that problem?

I will try to post a picture in a bit.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I think I may have figured out how to do this.

At the end of the seal, I cut part of the part that grabs onto the glass off:

Name:  modified-shower-seal.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  68.2 KB

That allowed the bottom end of the seal to slip onto the bottom part of the stationary pane (and the door still closes all right).

I haven't tested it yet, but I think/hope that it should help.

P.P.S. It looks like it didn't work... or more clearly, I checked the top of the curb on the outside of the glass after showering, and it felt wet at numerous places, including in the front of the stationary glass pane. Not terrible, but not dry either.

I was wondering: For the stationary glass pane, at the bottom, as I said, there is a metal strip. It felt like where there were grout lines on the top of the curb, it was wet. Should the area at the bottom of that metal strip be cauked along its entire length?

Also, is there some way to more accurately tell where the water is coming from? I tried feeling along the area outside of the glass pane, but it was hard to tell if an area was wet or if it was just my finger was wet?

Any other ideas?

Last edited by ohaya; 09-03-2022 at 04:36 PM.
ohaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #2
ohaya

Hi,

I think that I've found one problem. There was already a bottom sweep on the glass door, so I hadn't looked at it closely... until this morning. But now that I've looked at it, it looks like the "kick" part of the sweep (the part that is on the inside the shower side that is angled and is supposed cause water to be pushed back INTO the shower) is installed such that the bottom edge of the kick is at least a quarter of an inch ABOVE the top of the curb!! So basically, the kick is not even touching the top of the curb ...

I'm going to have to see if I can find another bottom seal which has a "taller" kick, if such a thing even exists? If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any other suggestions(s)?

Also, my son is coming over today and is going to bring a bubble level so that we can check the angle of the top of the curb, to check if it is angled towards the inside of the shower.

If we do find that the top of the curb angle is wrong, what can we do about that?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim
Unread 09-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
ohaya

Hi,

We checked the curb with a bubble level and this is what we found:

Name:  shower-curb-levels.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  58.1 KB

If we are able to find someone that can do it, would it be possible to re-level the curb tiles? Would that also mean that we'd basically have the shower door and the stationary pane re-installed?

What are options?

Thanks,
Jim
Unread 09-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
If we do find that the top of the curb angle is wrong, what can we do about that?
Wish it weren't so is about the only thing I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Should the area at the bottom of that metal strip be cauked along its entire length?
If the metal strip is on top of the top curb tiles, I would guess yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
We checked the curb with a bubble level and this is what we found:
'Fraid I got no idea what "this" might be, Jim. I see some yellow marks on the curb, but...........?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
ohaya

Hi,

Re. "this" - I had labelled some of the tiles in the picture in yellow, but didn't realize that the picture would be so tiny on the forum, so here is a link to the original picture on Google Drive that hopefully is more readable:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12J2...ew?usp=sharing

I had labeled the 6 tiles (3 leftmost tiles, in 2 rows) on the left side of the picture:

INCLINED INWARD (TOWARD SHOWER) - LEVEL - LEVEL

INCLINED INWARD (TOWARD SHOWER) - INCLINED OUTWARD - INCLINED OUTWARD

In other words, other than the 2 leftmost tiles, the water from the shower would probably be flowing outward (towards the outside of the shower), which is what I think I was seeing when I was checking the curb after I showered.
Unread 09-04-2022, 12:17 PM   #6
ohaya

I just found these on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Threshold-S.../dp/B098779M3B

I'm wondering if we (a) caulked the bottom of the stationary pane and (b) used these under the door pane, would that fix the problem?

However, I see one problem. The "flap" of the seam strip that I added earlier, between the door and the stationary pane goes on the inside/shower-side of the glass-door and it looks like these dams are designed so that the high side f the dam is on the outside of the glass shower door, so it seems like the dam vs. the seam strip are mutually exclusive?

D**G!

Jim
Unread 09-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

The attached pic is the type of door sweep I have used. The angled part (3/4") goes on the inside of the door. If your door swings in, you'll need to do some trimming of that piece on the hinge end. There is not much I believe you can do about those tiles tilted outward.

If it were me and water was coming from the top of the curb to the bathroom floor, I'd likely always have a towel handy to place there AND I'd likely silicone instead of grout between the floor tiles and curb face tiles.
Attached Images

Snets is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase