Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
thesaw

White Haze in Dark Grey Pool Grout Lines - PLEASE HELP

I recently replaced my pool tile with slightly textured ceramic tile and dark grey grout about 3+ months ago. Also resurfaced the pool with Pebble Sheen. The pool is beautiful and I'm very happy with the workmanship. However, now I am noticing an unsightly white haze (efflorescence?) on my dark grey grout lines. Water chemistry is on target. White haze only appears when the grout is dry--making grout lines appear white (dark grey color is restored when wet). I've tried vinegar/water, rinsing with hose, drying with a towel, but NOTHING WORKED. After spending several thousand $$$ on this work, I would expect the grout to look MUCH better. Is there a way to permanently restore the rich dark grey grout lines (without, of course, removing and replacing)?

ANY GUIDANCE OR SUPPORT TO HELP RESOLVE THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE. Joe
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joe.

Some photos will most certainly help our gurus evaluate your situation. At least one close up and another farther back for perspective would be good. Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer.

AND PLEASE DON'T SHOUT! Our all volunteer army of helpers are sensitive, don'tcha know.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Joe, Welcome!

Besides the photo's CX requested, please let us know what grout was used.

What did the previous installation's grout look like? Same problem?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
thesaw

White Haze in Dark Grey Pool Grout Lines--Please Help

Attached are some pics of my grout line issue. Please note that when grout is wet, it is dark grey (the color we chose)...and when grout is dry, it is white. We hate the white look. Doesn't appear to be a calcium issue--more like efflorescence. Are there any products out there that will remove the white haze and restore the dark grey grout lines in wet and dry conditions? I've read about acidic solutions, grout haze removers, grout dyes/colorants/enhancers, grout pens, etc., but need professional advice.

Thank you again in advance for your assistance/expertise.

I'm trying to obtain the grout details and will post when I do.

Previous grout lines were white (mosaic tile pattern)...tile/grout were 15 years old when replaced.

...and I promise not to shout anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Grout.pdf (246.0 KB, 699 views)

Last edited by thesaw; 09-19-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added text
thesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Did you use sealer when installing this grout? If the grout gets darker when it's wet it doesn't sound like you did. Try lowering your water line and then brushing on StoneTech Enhancer Pro. Also what kind of grout was used? Epoxy grout is suggested for pools. It's stronger chemically than regular grout.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
doitright

Hi Joe

Was the grout dark (after curing) prior to the pool being filled with water?

By the photo's it does not appear to be efflorescence.

I don't suggest sealing grout that is going to be submerged in water.

Your response will help guide us to further explanation or suggestions.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Unread 09-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
thesaw

Hi John,

Yes--the grout was dark after curing and before the water was placed back into the pool--and remained as such for at least a couple of months. The white haze now appears in several locations (but not in all) and, as the pics show, the grout's natural color reappears when wet.

I previously tried 'cleaning' the grout with Miracle Tile and Stone Cleaner (a neutral cleaner safe for all grouts)...it didn't do anything (except, perhaps make the problem worse). I spoke to the manufacturer and they suggested I use HDAC to restore the color---I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very skeptical.

This is a very puzzling issue...and I just want the dark grey grout line back (w/o removing and replacing)...especially since the dark grey color is still there (when wet).

Others have suggested grout colorant or enhancer to restore the dark grey...as there just doesn't appear to be another product out there that can remove the haze permanently.

Thank you in advance....
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
doitright

Hi Joe

Follow manufacturers suggestion. I don't see the correct acid blend not resolving your issue.

TEST first. Please report back with results.

Unread 04-28-2022, 11:07 PM   #9
LLeonard

I have the same problem with my pool. I have the exact tile and grout seen in the picture. I was wondering what the solution was for this problem?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase