Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
racurley

Master bath remodel: couple of questions

First post here.

I've been working on my master bath remodel for a while and have finally gotten around to the tiling part. I used a Schluter Systems shower kit along with Kerdiboard. I'm using 8x20 ceramic tiles on the wall oriented vertically. I'm planning to run a 12" wide mosaic accent as a "waterfall" down a wall. The mosaic is a glass and stone sheet with staggered ends. Will be around 84" tall.

I put the field tile on the walls and left a 12 1/4" space for the mosaic. When I went to install the mosaic, I ran into some issues. I spread the thin set on the wall, combed it (1/4" x 3/8"), and placed the first piece. Was planning to just use tape to hold it up since it didn't align with the batten I am using for the tiles. End result was thin set squishing through the spaces in the mosaic sheet. It was also looking lower than my wall tile probably because I back buttered the tile and because of the small pieces. Tried it once with combing and once without but with same results.

So, researching this, it seems there are a couple of options...
1 - apply a layer of thin set and screed it down with a homemade shape. Let it dry. Apply a layer of thin set and use a small notched trowel and install the mosaic sheets there.
2 - use Ditra flooring sheet to fill the space. Install the Ditra upside down and then install the mosaic on the backing. I don't have any Ditra and I'm a little concerned this will be too thick since the mosaic tile is the same thickness as the wall tile.

So, any advice on this problem?

Second question...

When I cut the corner pieces for the shower walls where it joins, is it best to butt one end against the other (right side all the way to the wall, with gap, and left side up to right side wall) or butt them both with a 45 degree angle?

Thanks. I've enjoyed reading the various posts and have already learned a lot.

Andy
Unread 04-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Andy. Thinset isn't really designed for filling in like that but I have done it many times. Just fill in a little and let dry. a wide flat trowel or wide putty knife comes in handy for this. I usually will lightly go over it with a rub stone brick to knock down any ridges or high spots. Wipe with damp sponge before tiling over it. If you fill in the right amount, all you will need is a small notch trowel to stick the tiles, probably only a 1/8 or 3/16, small enough that the thinset won't come up so high in the joints.

It's nearly impossible to butter up any kind of mosaics or small pebbles. It's best to fill in the area and let it set and not have to try and butter it up. Also, when using a small notch trowel with mosaics, most of the time the tiles will stay put on the wall without sliding very much. Very little taping is usually needed.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
racurley

Thanks. HD seems to be getting out of carrying Schluter in the stores so I've been able to find some good buys. They had a roll of Ditra flooring for $22. That's 1/8" thick so I think that will probably do the trick. Easier than trying to get an even depth on my own.
Unread 04-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used Ditra before for that purpose. As long as it's not to thick. Hope it works out.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase