Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
toolwarrior

Any word on the new Hydro-blok system?

Our local tile contractor supply warehouse not only carries Schluter and Wedi, but they are now carrying the Hydro-Blok system. I have used the Schluter system before and wanted to try the Wedi system for a new tile job coming up, but fell out of my chair when I reviewed the pricing for the various components. My supplier then told me about Hydro-Blok. The pricing is significantly better than Wedi and looks to be the same in every way, except color. I did some research and I can't seem to find anyone reviewing or commenting on the new Hydro-Blok system. Has anyone tried it yet or heard anything about it vs the Wedi system?
Unread 03-14-2016, 01:23 AM   #2
rocjr
GC

Rich

It *looks* to be identical down to the drain. Check with them regarding any limitations regarding minimum tile size on the pan. Note, the subfloor really needs to be deadly level with any foam pan. I needed to pull it and tweak to get there. The pitch was not aggressive with Wedi. I was sure the drain was dead on center between curb and wall and wall and wall. The upside was that it was fantastic to install. I did add cleat sticks at the seams between stud bays, but I do that even with cbu to pull them into plane. I set the pan and let it dry over night. Doesn't sit well with me dancing all over it while wet. I also didn't lock in the drain donut til the next day. There's a tendency to get some lift when tightening them. I learned that early on in the acrylic pan days.

Last edited by rocjr; 03-14-2016 at 01:29 AM.
rocjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
toolwarrior

Thanks for the feedback. Seems to be so new that few, if any, have given it a try. I have researched this product a bit further and found that the install method is slightly different for Hydro-blok. In the corners, they want you to nest in some fiberglass mesh tape and coat with the sealant a second time. That has pros and cons. While it is another layer of protection, it also consumes more of the sealant and also takes more time. I am going to present all the information to my customer and let them make the choice. Wedi is a known entity. However, the cost difference just can't be ignored on this Hydro-blok system.
Unread 03-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I heard there were some problems with it. But what I heard was more rumor than anything- nothing real specific. I'm staying away for now. I still like Wedi.
Unread 09-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Higgins

hydroblok

i was looking for some wedi at united tile everett. no longer carries it, dal tile no longer carries it either, but the daltile everett sez there waiting on there new shipment of hydroblok. what's with this stuff. i don't see anywhere on the forum a discussion of actual use..
Unread 09-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
rmckee84

Laticrete? Who makes it?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi Mike, Master Wholesale picked up Wedi after Dal dumped it in favor of Hydro block. The old Wedi rep is the guy that started that company. I'm not sure who carries Wedi on the north end.
Unread 09-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
sycamorebob

HYDRO-BLOK can be found here: http://www.hydroblok.com/

They offer a lot of options.
Unread 09-12-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
Higgins

going into seattle is too much trouble these days...i just want to know if there are any ex wedites that have used hydroblok and are willing to share their experience?
Unread 09-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Tried HydroBlok one time last month on a tub surround. Performed exactly like Wedi. No drain or pan of course. Used one of their 12x12 niches. Funtional but the concrete exterior surfaces on the boards I got were almost glass smooth. Not sure if that affects bonding but definitely smoother than Wedi boards. Niche was kind of a mess appearance-wise but performed fine.

Update: just talked to the distributor who said my early-adopter boards was from a batch made differently than avail now. QC tweaking. Reason niche was different looking than Wedi was due to thicker layer of cementitious top coat for added rigidity. Smooth finish, but definitely ridged.

Was a $1 or 2 less than Wedi per board. Thought I'd give it a try. S'Okay

Last edited by Topspin; 09-14-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
Higgins

thanks for the reply. i thought is was going to a lot more savings than $1- 2 cheaper per board.
Unread 09-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #12
ded dux

It is to those who supply it, but why sell it that much cheaper when people were paying for Wedi, and this is "just like Wedi".. i'll pay the 1-2 extra. What's their warranty or product support like...maybe "just like" something is good enough.
Unread 09-13-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I'm with you guys. I ain't switching.
Unread 09-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Looks to me like the only dealers are in Washington and Oregon.

Where are the field trials? How many of these showers have been built? How long do they last? Lots of questions.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
Higgins

well there's no more wedi north of seattle. dal tile/everett switched to hydroblok and united tile has also dropped wedi. united said it was because of the cost of accessories, in particular pan extensions, and linear drain systems. also the everett united tile location is consolidating with renton and they're both moving into seattle's tile district. bummer for me. they also said it was faster and cheaper to get a container from china than Germany. fyi the hydroblok 3x5 1/2" was $41 and the 4x5x1/2" was $61. i think wedi is quickly become history in the u.s.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase