Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
grisby

I know--another plywood ???

Have not been on here for a while and I did a search and I even know what I did in the past that works but now I am confused.

I was told by someone (and even found info on another forum)that when you add the 2nd sheet of plywood to an already existing layer that you should lay the plywood perpendicular to the first layer of plywood(not to the joists) which of course would be parallel to the joists and of course the cbu would then be perpendicular to the original layer.

I dont see the purpose in this being that the CBU has no structural strength.

Now I did 2 rooms where I added a 2nd sheet perpendicular to the joists(staggered of course over the first layer) and have no problems. I usually nail the 2nd layer to the joists being that the CBU is not nailed/screwed to the joist just to the 2nd layer for the decoupling effect just to the 2nd layer of ply.

Am I correct in doing it this way--never had a problem in past, or should I do it the "new" way.

Sorry to be so long winded.

bill g
grisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Bill.....

Continue with your fine floor prep work in the way that you've already proven to yourself works on your own home :---).
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Avoid nailing the second layer to the joists, but other than that, you should be okay. Do a seach here, CX posted a link to a good technical discussion on this.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
grisby

Thanks guys.
Unread 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Bill,

I think you have done it perfectly the way it should be done. The underlayment should also run across the joists but staggered both ways from the subfloor. In addition, the warning not to fasten the 2nd layer into the joists is not really accurate. The original thought was not to fasten into the joists IF this 2nd layer of plywood is the actual surface the tiles are bonded onto. Same for the backerboard. I've noticed some have changed it's intent the last few years, which doesn't really hurt anything though.

Jaz
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 05:54 AM   #6
grisby

Thanks Jaz, thats what I figured. The CBU is actually the decoupler, its just that I get dangerous when I read, plus the fact I am doing an area bigger than I usually do(remodlelling my house again)
thanks
bill g

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase