Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #1
RandomPerson

Basement Tile Advice

Hello, I have been doing some research and I think I have my answer but wanted to be sure before I did all of the work and spent the money, but I have a 400 sq ft 2 room basement (below grade concrete slab) that previously had tile, which I just removed and I am going redo the tile, and here is my current situation.

I have had water issues, so I had a drainage and sump pump system put in. I also run a dehumidifier and when it stops in the summer time, the tile floors sometimes got slick with moisture. Since the previous tile is removed I am now getting efflorescence on the cement floor. The efflorescence and the floor moisture only happens in one room.

Due to this, I think I need to put down ditra or is there something else I should use? And just to confirm, if I do use ditra, I should not seal the edges right? And should I put ditra down in both rooms or just the room with the water issue?

Please let me know if there is any more information is needed and thank you!
Unread 10-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dan.

In my experience, when a concrete floor in conditioned space gets visibly wet, it's an indication of a very high MVER or possibly even hydrostatic pressure from below.

While Schluter does indicate Ditra as a method of dealing with vapor emissions, I don't know what limit they put on that. I'm assuming they do have a limit, but I don't know what it is.

And by dealing with, I don't mean controlling or stopping such emissions, but allowing the moisture to collect under the Ditra, thereby equalizing the forces and limiting any potential damage. And theoretically it allows a path for such collected moisture to travel to the edges of the Ditra, where it would presumably evaporate. Or something.

How much of that can it tolerate? I dunno. But we now have a Schluter rep onboard (a very new thing!) and I'll invite him to look in here if he's not already found your thread.

If, instead, you're occasionally dealing with actual hydrostatic pressure from below the slab, as incicated by your need of a sump collection system, that's an entirely different game.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 10-06-2022 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #3
RandomPerson

I see, thank you for your input. I hope the rep chimes in, otherwise I guess I can always contact them. Thanks again!

Last edited by RandomPerson; 10-04-2022 at 05:44 PM.
RandomPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #4
Dan Marvin
Company Rep

Good morning Dan,

The easy answer is that yes, Ditra is designed to trap moisture under the mat and can be used for this application with some caveats. To make sure the moisture stays below the membrane, you should use KERDI-BAND to treat the seams and cover both rooms. The question you ask about the wall junction is a good one though and will depend on what the walls are made of and how you are getting the water to your sump pump currently. I would like to have your local Schluter rep reach out to you about your installation so I will send you a private message.

Thanks for choosing Schluter products and having a great first name!

Last edited by Dan Marvin; 10-06-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Dan Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase