Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
Dan White

Resetting Loose Tiles

My shower floor was done over 10 years ago and I have 8 2x2 tiles that have popped up. These tiles were mounted on a web in a 12" by 12" mat. In the photo I put 4 of the tiles back in so that you can see the elevation of the tiles is level with the rest of the floor. The problem is that if I use thinset to reset them the tiles will be too high. Can I use some kind of waterproof glue instead before grouting?
Attached Images

Unread 09-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dan,

There are two possible scenarios here; if the shower floor is conventional (liner under mud bed), you can scrape the old mortar/thinset out and then set the tiles with thinset; or if you have a surface menbrane, set the tiles with loose thinset (not quite runny) and wriggle them down as far as you can,

John Bridge Forums does not recommend anything on a shower floor that is not cement base. That means use thinset.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Depending upon how sound that material under the tiles is, Dan, you could certainly try bonding your tiles with an epoxy adhesive. Whether that would work long-term or just pull the remaining mounting mesh off the previous thinset mortar, I cannot say.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Dan White

Thank you both for the suggestions. I ended up chipping out the thin set with a hammer and small chisel. It worked really well and I'm surprised none of the adjoining tiles were loosened. I'm not sure if I have spacers though. Do you think it would be OK if I just set the tiles without spacers carefully or are they likely to shift?
Unread 09-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #5
Dan White

Oh and one more thing. I believe I have to wait 24 hours before grouting but how long should I wait after grouting before using the shower again?
Unread 09-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

You have spacers, Dan, you just may not recognize them. Toothpicks, various thicknesses of cardboard, small brads or tacks (NOT poked through any waterproofing), string, etc. Ain't gotta be pretty, just functional.

Or just set the tiles carefully in properly mixed mortar and align them carefully. For the few you need to set, you may find you can do it without any sort of spacer, but I'd have some handy just in case some of the tiles have a mind of their own.

Unread 09-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #7
Dan White

OK good advice thank you
Unread 09-25-2022, 05:34 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Wait a couple days before using the shower, Dan.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2022, 05:37 PM   #9
Dan White

OK thanks!
Unread 10-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #10
Dan White

Good Source for Caulk?

Hi. I used TEC 944 "Light Chocolate" unsanded grout in my shower. Actually, I didn't do the work and the guys who did just grouted the corners like everybody in a hurry does. That was years ago and the corners, or floor/wall interfaces are a mess. I want to caulk it with something that matches. What is a good source?
Unread 10-11-2022, 03:36 PM   #11
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Best place is online. Give them the grout manufacturer and color number and they can perfectly match it for you. Sanded, unsanded and any texture you want. A little pricy but it's a custom service.

https://colorriteinc.com/color-rite/
Unread 10-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, you understand that putting caulk, or a flexible sealant (what you really want), over the existing grout will do you no real good at all, right? You plan to remove all the grout before applying the sealant?

This the same shower with the loose floor tiles?

Unread 10-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

What CX asked.

And if you’re going to use ColorRite, just tell them you’ve got Tec #944 and you’re good to go to order. No need to pick through countless samples or to wonder if the color on your computer monitor is accurate enough to decide which color matches best.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2022, 03:02 AM   #14
Dan White

Sorry for the delayed response:

cx: Yes, this is the same shower where I reset 8 2x2 tiles. BTW, it came out perfect! As far as caulking the corners -- some of the grout lines are 1/16" and some, on the floor, are more like 1/8". In some areas there is no grout at all. The wife uses a blue scrubbie on a handle to clean the shower and I think has pulled out whatever grout that wasn't secure. My plan was to chip away at the grout lightly and remove whatever wanted to come out. Along the inner wall floor all that grout is still in place so I probably won't even caulk that. If I caulk over secure grout is that a problem? For instance, one wall/floor joint has half no grout and half secure grout. I can't simply caulk over the whole thing without digging out the "good" grout? It would have to be more of a skim coat over the good grout, of course. If I have to chip it all out, I will. I think I know what you are going to say. I just don't want to damage the tile in the process.

Tool Guy - Thanks for the help! I'll give them a call after cx straightens me out.
Unread 10-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, the whole purpose of using a flexible sealant at the changes of plane in your tile installation is to allow for differential movement. If you have grout in those joints, there is no movement accommodation at all. If you apply a flexible sealant over the grout that's not supposed to be there, you still have no movement accommodation at all.

The reason that some of the grout is falling out of those joints is very likely the very differential movement of the tile surfaces, for which you've made no accommodation. Adding some flexible sealant now does nothing at all to rectify the situation.

Removing the existing grout and then applying a flexible sealant is the answer. Actually, removing the existing grout is the answer, but adding the flexible sealant will make the joint look better and be easier to clean while still allowing for the movement.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase