Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #16
Jeff Butisbauch

Hydro Block

Has anyone tried actually leaving Hydro Block out in the rain for a day or two? I have noticed it start to separate or delaminate from the foam core center along the edges after soaking up water for a day or two. Not something you expect from your supposedly water proof board. I have used it on several jobs with no problems or call backs, but I think I will switch back to Wedi board. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.
Unread 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I can't find any product testing info on HydroBlok anywhere. I was aware of the ups and downs of Kerdi-board development and one of the first to use the product in the States. I was also aware of some of the trials and tribulations that went into the Durock shower system including their foam board. I know that one of the toughest nuts to crack for anyone contemplating the production of a foam backer board is getting the facing to bond to the foam. It's not an easy thing to do.

Until HydroBlok, or any other board manufacturer, demonstrates that they have gone through all the moves and have not just thrown another product into the marketplace, I would advise steering clear.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
iron
joe amateur

looks like wedi is suing hydro-blok

wedi’s arbitration claims were originally filed as part of a lawsuit brought by wedi Corp. in May 2015 against Wright, Sound Product, and Hydro-Blok USA, LLC (“Hydro-Blok USA”), another company owned and controlled by Wright, in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington entitled wedi Corp. v. Brian Wright, et al., Case No. 2:15-cv-00671. wedi’s claims relate to Wright’s and his companies’ activities in assisting, promoting, and ultimately selling certain shower system products made in China and recently imported into the United States by Hydroblok International, Ltd. (“Hydroblok”), a Canadian company. Wright attempted to have all of wedi’s claims against him and his co-defendants dismissed and sent to arbitration, but the Court ruled that only some of the claims were arbitrable and denied Wright’s request to dismiss or stay the non-arbitrable claims. In June 2015, wedi filed related claims against Hydroblok as counterclaims in an action pending in the same District Court in Washington entitled Hydroblok USA LLC, et al. v. wedi Corp., et al., Case No. 2:15-cv-00615.

In addition to alleging contractual, fiduciary, and conspiracy claims relating to Wright’s alleged activities while still employed by wedi (including allegations that Wright contacted wedi customers to promote Hydroblok products while still an agent for wedi), wedi alleges that Wright, Hydro-Blok USA, and Hydroblok use false or misleading statements in promoting their products that misrepresent the nature, characteristics, and qualities of Hydroblok products and wedi products. Among other things, wedi alleges that Hydroblok’s claims in its advertising that it offers “The BETTER Shower System” are false and materially misleading in violation of the federal Lanham Act’s prohibition against false advertising, 15 U.S.C. §1125(a). wedi also alleges violations of the Washington Consumer Protection Act, RCW 19.86.020, and tortious interference with wedi’s contractual and business relationships with its customers and potential customers.

“Although fair and honest competition is the cornerstone of our free market system, the use of false statements and misleading comparisons in the promotion of one’s own products is prohibited under the law,” said Daniel J. Becka, wedi’s counsel in the litigation matters. Bastian Lohmann, wedi’s National Sales Director, explained: “wedi has spent considerable time and effort in educating and servicing our customer base to whom we are proud to offer our high quality, tested and certified waterproof, brand foam shower systems and backerboards that wedi pioneered based on a patented manufacturing process invented by the late Helmut Wedi. We are in the process of investing in full-scale, U.S. based manufacturing using our same high quality manufacturing standards and do not take lightly others who may try to piggy-back on wedi’s success through the use of false or misleading statements to our customers and the market in general. While we regret that some of wedi’s customers have been ‘put in the middle’ of our disputes with Brian Wright and Hydroblok, we feel forced to take action to defend our good name and the reputation of our products against those we believe to be engaging in unfair competition and false advertising employing such tactics. ” Mr. Lohmann added: “We take action to protect our product users, our good competitors, and wedi.”

wedi’s arbitration complaint is not publicly available. Copies of wedi’s Amended Complaint against Wright, Sound Product, and Hydro-Blok USA in Case No. 2:15-cv-00671, and its Counterclaims against Hydroblok in Case No. 2:15-cv-00615, may be obtained from the U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, Clerk’s Office, 700 Stewart Street, Suite 2310, Seattle, Washington 98101, 206-370-8400.
Unread 02-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #19
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

For background: Our local Wedi rep (used to be anyways) is the guy behind Hydro block. He was there for a long time and then turned coat and created a product that looks similar to Wedi board but made in China and not quite as good (from what I've heard).

He already had a relationship with Daltile and so Dal ended up dumping Wedi and picked up his new product. Then, Master Wholesale, right next door, was more than happy to pick up Wedi distribution.

Reading the post above it's hard for me to tell if Wedi has legitimately been wronged or if they are just trying to push around the little guy.
Unread 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #20
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

...And what's up with these 1 hit wonder posters?
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, he might decide to be a regular contributor if we don't post disparaging comments on his first try, Craig.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #22
iron
joe amateur

sorry, not trying to be a one-hit poster. just was reading about the different systems as i venture into my own shower project in the basement. i'm a DIYer, a good one i think, but doing a mud pan is beyond my comfort level. hence, i was looking into prefab'd waterproof systems and wedi came up. obviously, per this thread, wedi seems to be dead north of seattle, so hydroblok is what's left.

looking at the install methods, i'm sure i can install hydroblok just fine. for a 3'x6' walk in shower, tiles for less in bothell/mill creek said $1050+ tax. doable for sure. just want to make sure the product is quality and not junk. i'm concerned with the made in china aspect and the QC that is inherent in that reality. i wish they had wedi. i'd pay the premium for a proven product.

alternatively, i have a guy from craigslist saying he does the old school method with CBU and a PVC liner pan system. $1500. might be worth it. questioning the system in general as something like wedi seem inherently better to me.
Unread 03-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #23
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I always chuckle when I hear old school and a product that was invented in the late 1970's.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #24
cx
Moderator emeritus

Old School to guys who were invented in the 1980s and '90s, Dave.

Unread 09-15-2022, 03:19 PM   #25
hydroblok

Smile Some updates to HYDRO-BLOK products

Not mean to self promote our HYDRO-BLOK here.

Several of our new customers pointed this out to us saying when they tried to find things about our HYDRO-BLOK products, they got here on the topic and post.The forum has been great resources to contractors, tile setters, and DIYers. We feel that we need to provide some updates to this old thread regarding our HYDRO-BLOK products.

To answer some concerns in the thread, we have specs and testing/certification docs our HYDRO-BLOK website under "Resources". HYDRO-BLOK has been widely used in residential as well as commercial projects over the years. We have over 100 distributors/dealers in U.S, and Canada, and expand our market to south America. People can also order HYDRO-BLOK products online through Menards.

Few highlights:

The Industry’s best LIFETIME WARRANTY
Simple installation process. DIYer friendly.
Lightweight and easily customizable on site with no harmful dust.
Highest Foam compression rating in the industry at 45 psi. This means no limitations in size of tile (large format to the smallest mosaics) and sturdy construction for durability during handling.
Tileable in one or two hours
Industry exclusive fully customizable Linear Drain system.
Industry exclusive LOW-PROFILE Drain system for use with barrier free designs
Comprehensive on-line training aids and technical support portal.
hydroblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #26
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jason. Maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Not mean to self promote our HYDRO-BLOK here.
Not sure what else we might call your post. Given that two of our moderators have removed two of your previous spam posts on this thread, one in April, one in June, wherein you pretended to be a DIY user of the products, it's at least refreshing that you came clean this time and put pertinent identifying information in your User Profile. Still rather blatant unsolicited self-promotion, but perhaps the site owners will allow this post to stand as a direct response to an existing thread. I can't say if that's the case or not. Decision above my pay grade.

I would suggest that had you contacted the site owners and asked that you be permitted to do a bit of promoting on the thread, they might actually have allowed it and would be a lot less skeptical.

That said, I don't see a lot of chatter about the product since this thread originated. A few folks have apparently tried it and found it useful, but I just don't see any recent comments at all. I've never seen it, nor used it, and know nothing at all about it. The major highlight of a couple posters was the low price.

I looked through some of the information on your site and note nearly all the technical references were to ISO standards and metric units, and my little pea brain has difficulty translating both. Not much testing to ANSI standards, best I can tell. I do see ICC-ES reports on your drains and the shower "system," but I didn't read far enough to determine what the "system" might be composed of, nor did I note the effective dates of the Reports.

One thing that did catch my eye was in reference to your comment that your foam board has a compressive strength of 45psi, while your website claims only 36psi. I'm not a user of foam boards and don't really know how either number might compare to other such products on the market.

I could go on, but let me stop there on accounta I don't know if your comment and my response will actually remain in public view for more than an hour or so before a moderator uses the ol' BAN hammer on them.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase