Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #1
JBQuest

Profile Height Calculation

Hello to all,
New to forum. First post and question.

I am having trouble figuring out what height profile to select for my application. I am going to use 12x24 tile. it is a bit over 8mm thick. Multimax Lite with a 1/2" trowel. Does that mean I will have 1/4" thick motor bed + 8mm = 14.3mm? or will I get some compression of the motor and will have less than that? Even more confusing is on their website the height (H) is shown from the top of the perforated metal anchor leg to the top of the profile where it should be close to the top of the tile face. But it doesn't show the thickness of the metal anchor leg. That calculated 14.3mm is from my backer board to face of the tile.

What I am looking for is what profile height should i use? The Schluter profile that i was going to use is either the Jolly or Schiene.
Unread 08-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, John.

You will not have a quarter-inch of mortar with that trowel unless you mixture is just right and you hold the trowel at 90 degrees to the surface of your substrate. You'll achieve something less than that, which will be approximately half the height of your notches before you have set the tiles. If you want an exact measurement, the only sure way to achieve that is to set at least one tile using your mortar, your trowel, and your technique and measure the result. Usually not necessary, but it can certainly increase your comfort level in such situations.

Might also help to contact the Mother Ship at 800-472-4588.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

On the floor, you spread the thinset, embed the profile which will cause some thinset to ooze through the holes, then maybe spread a bit on top of it, then embed the tile. You do not want the profile above the edge of the tile, and they call for it to be a maximum of 1mm beneath the edge. I've not installed all that much of it, but found that getting the profile the same height/thickness of the tile works for me. You won't know until you try it.

On a wall, you can hold the profile up, then spread the thinset over it, but on a floor, you want that full support underneath, so you spred the thinset, then put the profile down. Because the profile is narrow and has holes in it, it's easy to get it to sink further than especially a large format tile (288sqin in your case), where on the profile that's maybe an 1.5" wide, when you press on it, you can apply a huge amount more pressure per square inch.

Schluter's recommendation is the same or up to 1mm less than the thickness of the tile. Some don't agree. If the height of the profile is too much, and you press down on your tile too much, it's a bear to get the tile back up so the profile's edge isn't sticking above the tile. Having it the same or up to 1mm less means that would never happen.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

The thickness of the anchor leg is 1mm in the aluminum profiles, a tiny bit thicker if powder coated.

I've not set any profiles with 1/2" trowel but I'm betting Schluter will tell you 3/8" profile for your 5/16" tile when using the 1/2" notched trowel.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
JBQuest

Yep, Schluter recommended 3/8" profile. They questioned why i was going to use 1/2" trowel too.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase