Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #1
Nick Endres

Old shower floor

I have an older basement shower with a 3/4”x3/4” tile floor. It seems to be leaking through the grout joints. What would you all suggest as the best course of action to stop the leak? Replacing the floor isn’t a realistic option right now…. Is there a product I could “paint” over the existing tiles to seal the whole floor? Or I could tile over the existing tile? The exiting grout joints are unbelievably small, so I don’t think regrouting the existing floor would fix it (at least not for long).

If the best option is to tile over the existing tile, is there a product designed for that situation to direct water deeper into the drain (like a drain in a drain) on the off chance the leak is coming from where the floor meets the drain?

Thank you, I appreciate any thoughts!
Nick Endres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Could you better explain about this leak? Is it leaking onto the bathroom floor? What tells you there is a leak?
Unread 08-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
Nick Endres

Water runs from the shower into the garage next to the bathroom when it’s used. It’s not a lot of water, but definitely a leak.
Unread 08-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Nick,

I think a shower pan replacement is the only fix available.

I came back to inquire whether the leak is on the shower head wall, in which case it could be a plumbing leak in the wall.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2022, 02:25 PM   #5
Kman

Welcome back, Nick.

You are correct that grouting again won't fix the leak. Water is not contained by the tile or grout, or even caulk at the corners. It should be contained by a waterproofing system that's underneath the tile.

If yours is damaged, or maybe not even there, that would allow water to escape the enclosure.

I would have to agree with John. And not just because he's smarter than me. But because anything you put on top is simply a band-aid approach that will allow more damage to the construction components within the wall and below.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
Nick Endres

Thanks for the replies. I know this is not the site to ask about cobbling something together, but I thought I’d give it a shot????*??????. Normally I avoid cobbling at all costs, but in this case I’m terrified of what I could run into if I take this shower floor all the way down to the cast iron drain pipe. I’ve been down that wormhole before and I don’t have time for that right now. I may just have to table this project for a while!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase