Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #91
dawedler

Using tile levelers under the ledger board row

I am installing 24" x 24" tiles on a shower wall. I have installed a ledger board and plan to use a tile leveling system. My plan was to tile the walls above the ledger board. Then tile the shower floor. Then remove the ledger board, seal the holes, and tile the bottom row of the wall.
Question: Is there an appropriate way to use the tile levelers between the tile edge above the ledger and the bottom row tile? (since the thin-set will be dry for the tiles above the ledger)
Unread 08-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #92
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If you are concerned about not having the use of levelers in this area, you could cut over-sized notches into your ledger board to make room for the straps under the 2nd course while you were installing this 2nd course. You’d need to make sure to clean up any oozing mortar from around the lower half of these straps.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #93
dawedler

Grout line spacer size for rectified tile

I am thinking of using 1/16" spacers for the grout line. Is this pretty doable for a novice using 24x24" rectified tiles. Or should I consider going with 1/8" spacers to give more "wiggle room"?
Unread 08-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #94
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Doug, only way you'll know if you can get away with a 1/16th grout line is to measure 3 or 4 of those 24X24's to see how true to size they are. It also wouldn't hurt to use a square to check how, well, how square they are.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #95
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

For 24” tiles, a 1/16” grout line is quite challenging for pros. For such large tiles, it’s especially important to prepare the studs into an exceptionally flat plane ahead of time, or the substrate will be wavy and lippage will be a problem unless you spend endless extra hours carefully adding and subtracting mortar under the tile. Leveling systems offer a little assistance, but they don’t make up for a wavy substrate. This is also especially important in a wet application where the minimal solid mortar coverage between the tile and substrate is 95%. Such a high percentage of mortar coverage means you need to be very fussy about the mortar....you can’t just simply throw a blob of mortar on a ‘low spot”...or expect the leveling clips to pull everything flat.

A first timer would probably need 1/4” grout joints to help hide the lippage and keep the lines straight. Wider if no prep work was done. Narrower if prep work was (or will be done), alone with a healthy dose of patience and perseverance.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #96
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yep. I agree with Tonto. 1/16" WILL be a challenge, even with perfectly sized tile. I would expect that 1/8" will be the smallest you may be able to use....
Unread 08-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #97
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

In regards to the original question in the first post, you could do one of two things:
  • put the leveling straps in first so they sit on the ledger board
  • I've also seen guys cut in spots to put them in the next day using grinder wheels similar to this
Unread 11-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #98
dawedler

Ok, I went with a 1/8" grout line. It was a bit challenging with the large tiles, but I think it came out ok for a novice.

I have all the tile installed above the ledger board. I have removed the board and am ready to install the bottom row of tile.
What should I use to seal the small ledger board screw holes?

The shower is waterproofed with Hydro Ban.
I do have a new bucket of Mapei AquaDefense, would that work?
LATICRETE Hydro BAN Adhesive & SEALANT?
or is it best to just buy a new bucket of Hydro Ban?
Something else?
Unread 11-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #99
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The LATICRETE Hydro BAN Adhesive & SEALANT should work perfectly for those screw holes, Doug.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #100
dawedler

If Hydro Ban Adhesive and Sealant is not available, can I fill the ledger board screw holes with a silicone sealant (and maybe coat over with Hydro Ban Waterproofer)?
Or would just Hydro Ban waterproofer work to fill the screw holes?

Also, I am preparing to tile the bathroom floor with 12x24 tiles. The floor is concrete. Do I need to use a crack isolation/decoupling product between the concrete and tile?
Would Hydro Ban work as a crack isolation/decoupling membrane for that application? Or possibly Latecrete Fracture Ban SC, Mapei AquaDefense, Mapelastic CI?

Last edited by dawedler; 11-02-2021 at 06:12 PM.
dawedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #101
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd use Mapei's Auqa Defense for both applications. Lowes and Floor and Decor usually has it in stock.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #102
dawedler

The AquaDefense to fill the holes is fine to apply over the HydoBan waterproof coating? It will adhere ok?
Unread 11-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #103
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Yes it will.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #104
dawedler

Making progress.
Have a question about finishing the shower threshold. The threshold is bordered by a knee-wall end on one side and a full-height end on the other side. I plan to install a piece of marble to cap the threshold. Should the marble be installed first with the vertical tile on the two walls then overlapping on top of the horizontal marble threshold? Or should the tile be installed first and the marble butt up against the tile?

This may just be more of an aesthetic question, but thought I'd ask. I guess the difference is how you would see the caulked seams between the marble and tile. Is there any functional difference, since the threshold is waterproofed?
Unread 11-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #105
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Properly waterproofed, there should be no real functional difference. Dealer's choice here. Personally, I think it looks "cleaner" to install the curb first and cut the tile around it...but that's just me...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase