Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #31
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

I've never used 252, but 253 is one of my staple thinsets, and I've never had issues with it sticking to just about ANYTHING, including the trowels I use to spread it.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #32
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

I agree with Bill- never had an issue with 253.

Pretty much my go to midrange polymer modified thinset.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2017, 06:44 AM   #33
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I will say that both are quality products. I have used way more VersaBond than 253 probably because I come from the West Coast, and for years Custom was about the only company I knew about.

P.S. I know Bill Vincent personally, and I know he was just about raised by the folks at Laticrete.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #34
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Close, John. I was just about raised WITH the folks at Laticrete. I've known Henry and Dr. Rothberg since I was 14 years old. I didn't meet David till after I came home from the Navy. Both my father and my grandfather were good friends with Dr. Rothberg, and I'm told my grandfather was the first person to make a retail purchase from Laticrete in 1956. Art Mintie, Head supervisor for their tech department and Steve Rampino, who runs their premier education system, both got their start in the trade working with me and my sister Kathy Case. So yes, there are close ties.

BUT-- and you can ask Henry-- he'll verify this. nepotism has nothing to do with my standing behind the products I do. I've got a pretty good name in my own right in this industry, and I wouldn't stand behind a product unless I truly believed in it. Case in point-- before Hydroban came out, Laticrete had a "meeting of the minds" at their Bethany office. They invited several area contractors, both commercial and residential, to brainstorm about what they would want to see in a new waterproofing. My sister Kathy was one of the ones invited to that "summit". She called me that afternoon and asked if there was anything I'd want to add to the discussion. Being that Laticrete's waterproofing at the time (9235) required an additional vapor barrier for steam showers, I told her to ask for a waterproofing system that would have a strong enough perm rating to be used for steam rooms (this being just after I'd finished those steam rooms I've bragged about in here time and time again). What they came out with was Hydroban liquid, which as we all know, still requires an additional vapor barrier. As a result, I stuck with Kerdi for the longest time, because they had the whole system (drain, fabric, corners, etc). About the time Laticrete was willing to put their name on the line and offer 25 year and lifetime warranties on their shower systems, I was willing to give it a shot, and the rest, as they say, is history. Especially once they came out with the Hydroban sheet membrane, I have no reason to use Kerdi. I've had one issue with Schluter where for the cost of a drain plate, they decided they didn't need my business any more. Laticrete, on the other hand, when we had an issue with one of their products, was willing to pay not only for the replacement product, but also for the cost to demo the original work, as well as all new MARBLE (about 2500 sq ft) and the labor to reinstall. I've yet to EVER see a single one of the other thinset companies stand behind their products like that, and for that reason, when they say they'll warranty their products, I believe they'll stand behind them as they say they will. THAT'S why I stand behind their products. That said, I've yet, since I started my own company, to EVER have to call them and ask them to stand behind their products. They're that good. it's still nice, though, to know that the protection is there if it's needed.

Unread 10-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #35
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Didn't mean to rile you up, Bill. I know Laticrete to be a front row company. Custom is, too.
Unread 10-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #36
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

John, you didn't rile me up at all. I just felt a need to "explain things a little more in depth.

Last edited by Bill Vincent; 10-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 10-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #37
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

That's a great story Bill!
Great people at Laticrete from the top right on down.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #38
Steve Taylor

If you ever want to give Custom products a try, we do stand behind our products. If you have an issue with our products in a full system installation, we will pay to have it removed and replaced. You can view the details of our warranties at our website, www.custombuildingproducts.com.
Unread 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #39
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

I, and several people I know personally, HAVE gone to your company in the past, with the same kinds of issues, and heard the very same rehearsed line-- installer error. Now, if I hadn't gone through it myself, knowing that the rep had no clue as to what he was saying, I wouldn't hold it against your company, and to be fair in the last 10-12 years, I've seen that your products have gotten better. My problem is that I DID give Custom a shot, and it bit me in the ass. The funny part was that any other company's grouts, I never had an issue, and EVERY time I used Custom's grouts, I did. Without fail. And the one time that a rep was brought in, in spite of the fact that I told him that what he was saying didn't happen (and the homeowner knew it for himself), he was "certain" that it had. Now, I'm using a product that not only works every time, but I KNOW that someone will be honest in their forensic investigation if there is an issue. So why should I go back and use products from a company who didn't have my back when I gave them a shot?

I mean, the guy didn't even take any samples and have them tested. Sorry-- it left a real bad taste in my mouth for Custom. I'll use your products if I'm given them to use. That in itself is an improvement. For the longest time I'd pass on jobs where I was required to use your grouts.

Unread 10-04-2017, 04:03 AM   #40
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Well then Steve, asked and answered.

Custom should do itself and the grouting world a favor and get rid of Polyblend.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #41
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I don't want this to become a bashing thread against any of our sponsoring companies -- or any other company for that matter. The initial topic addressed the properties of Laticrete 253 and Custom VersaBond, and I will repeat, both products work just fine, and both are made by very good companies.
Unread 10-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #42
Steve Taylor

Bill,
I am sorry for your experience, that is not our normal response. If you will send me a PM with your contact info, I will have our technical representative in your area get in touch with you and see what we can do to get your business back.
Unread 10-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #43
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Steve, LIke I said-- I'm to the point that I'll use your products if they're given to me. And I DO like your speedset. Kicks faster than just about any other fast setting thinset. But other than that, it's one of those if it ain't broke, don't fix it things.

Unread 10-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #44
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Bill, why don't you show up for Coverings next year? Haven't seen you for about ten years. Atlanta is nicer than where you are weather wise that time of year. Steve will be there, and he'll buy you a beer. You'll be a Custom man in no time.
Unread 10-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #45
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

I WAS all set and ready to go LAST year! Until I broke my arm in February, and once I got the cast taken off the end of March, I had a huge need to make up for lost time! LITERALLY! We'll see what happens.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase