Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #46
Jessica
Jessica

Tiling on uneven surface...

OK, so I have two niches, one on top of the other with a few inches between them (see photo below).

Problem is that between the two niches there are 4 layers of kerdi band piled up from the top/bottom corners of niches overlapping (see 2nd photo.) Since I'm using THIN 1/8" 6x6 wall tiles, it seems like the bulge there is about the thickness of a tile so the tiles over that area will be raised from the other wall tiles by about the complete thickness of a tile. Make sense? How do I best handle this?

Option A would be to try and gradually slope the surrounding wall tiles to meet the tiles on the bulge... will it be a big headache?

Option B I was thinking was that I could put a frame of my 2x2 floor tiles (see 3rd photo) around the niches as I'm thinking the 2x2's would be able to "absorb" this uneveness more? Those tiles are 3/16" so they would still create a 1/16" lip where they joined with the wall tiles, but maybe this would be easier to deal with... would this be a good idea?

OK, ggggrrrrrr! So from your experience, option A or option B?

Jessica
Attached Images

Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #47
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Jessica, I would slope it out with thinset. Let it dry and rub it down gently with a tile rubstone being carefull not to tear a hole in the Kerdi. It can be patched several times like that until you get it flat enough.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #48
Jessica
Jessica

The tiles are 1/8" and the Kerdi bulge seems about 3/16" high. So if I "slope out" this corner Kerdi bulge, how big of an area to I need to do it over for it to work nicely?

Also, in the previous post, I was also talking about maybe using a 2-tile border of 2x2 floor tiles around the niche to "absorb" the Kerdi bulge underneath. If I did this I'd have an uneven-height seam all around the niche where the usual 1/8" thick 6x6 wall tiles butted up against the 3/16" floor tiles - would this be advisable or a problem? I'm still thinking of this idea... wouldn't it be easier than trying to slope it out? Sloping it out seems like it'd be complex.

Jessica
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #49
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The smaller 2x2 tiles won't absorb the uneveness better, probably would be harder to keep flat. I would want the surface to be flat before tiling, even if I had to float (fill) the whole wall.

Spread the thinset on the wall, a couple sq ft at a time and use a stick as a straight edge to cut the extra mud off the wall. Let it dry and use a rubstone to knock off the high spots. You will probably need a rubstone while tiling anyway.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #50
Jessica
Jessica

Ok, Davy wins!

OK, Davy, I'll yield to your wisdom! I'll just slope out the wall where the kerdi bulge is with a layer of thinset, let it dry, then tile away...

Next question... I think my mortar base is pretty flat around the perimeter, but may waver a bit here and there... how much of a gap would be the maximum a person could/should leave above the tile on the floor and the bottom row of wall tiles? I'm just thinking that the more space I leave the more room I have available to accommodate any wavering of the floor height.

Jessica
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #51
kerdibird

Hey Jessica,
Its a bit more work but if you start at the lowest point, you can cut the bottom row to adjust for level
kerdibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #52
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Two suggestions,use another band of kerdi around the niches in a picture frame to help give you something to screed to,making it all the same protruding thickness.Second tile down to the drypack,and do your shower floor tile last,that way you don't have to worry about the gap as it will be hidden by the floor.If the floor drypack is wavy use your straight edge and thinset when you fix the wall to fix the floor.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #53
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can use thinset on the floor too if you need to bring up a corner a little. Usually about 1/4 inch at a time can be done. Let it set before tiling.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #54
Jessica
Jessica

Gap at floor/wall seam

Interesting... thanks, guys... so if I do go to the walls with the floor tiles and then lay the wall tiles above them, what would be a proper gap? The wall tiles will have 1/8" grout line in the field, but that doesn't seem like a lot of "play room" at the floor/wall seam... do people sometimes make it bigger at that seam, like 1/4" maybe?

2nd question: I know John says he grouts the floor/wall seam all the time... is it generally OK to do this these days? I certainly like the idea of grout better than caulk - which always seems to get moldy.

Jessica

Last edited by Jessica; 05-29-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Unread 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #55
Jessica
Jessica

Question Evening-out the floor

Good news! I cut and drylaid all of my mosaic floor tiles today! It sure looks good to be getting to the last stages of the project!

One problem to deal with though... the length of the shower is 5 feet... along that length - on the perimeter against the wall - it seems to dip down a bit, so I either need to put extra thinset there when laying the edge tiles or do a "pre" layer of thinset and let it dry to try to bring that section up even with the corners.

If the dip is too big and I need to do a "pre" layer of thinset to level it out, any tips... I tried the other day, but aborted it because I started spreading thinset down, but soon lost all track of how thick it was and made a big mess when putting a level on it to try to check it - yeech... maybe I should have just made a big thick, level line on the Kerdi with felt pen and tried to raise it to that. Seems really messy... maybe my creamy peanut butter thinset was too thin, too.

But please help me also figure out if I even need to mess with that... I haven't yet measured how low the dip is, but how much is the maximum you'd suggest I try to raise it when laying the actual tile... I mean, how thickly can I back butter those edge tiles to raise them? 1/4 inch? 1/2 inch?

Jessica
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #56
bbcamp

Jessica, 1/4" is about all you can do with thinset. You can apply layers up to 1/4" thick, but any thicker than that, you'll see the tiles sinking into the thinset.

Establish your level with your Sharpie, then work your way up to the line. Take your time.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #57
sarahca

I just want to thank you jessica for asking all these questions, you seem to be having many of the same problems I am having...and thanks guys for all your answers
Unread 06-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #58
Jessica
Jessica

Floor tile in!

OK, yesterday I put my floor tile down in the shower and I think it went well !

Next... all of my gaps in the shower - floor and walls - will be 1/8". Do I go with sanded or unsanded grout?

Also, can I walk around on the ungrouted floor tiles in order to tile the walls now, or should I grout the floor before walking on it?

Jessica
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #59
Marge

Jessica, you can use sanded as I believe you aren't using any polished stone there? Make sure you protect that floor before working elsewhere in the shower. Don't want to be dropping things on it after all that work.
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #60
Jessica
Jessica

OK, Marge, I will used sanded grout everywhere and protect the floor with cardboard.

But are 2x2 floor tiles strong enough for me to walk on with only the thinset while I go about tiling the walls, or do I need to grout the floor first?

Jessica

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase