Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #16
TileStuff

I'm leaning more towards taking out the tub and converting to a shower stall. Don't seem to be any liquid membrane stopper drains anyway, other than custom built units.

So I think it's settled now, going with the shower stall, and instead of a tradition preslope+wet mortar bed I'm gonna try the liquid membrane pan this time.

Does the drain I posted from home depot look ok to use with a liquid membrane? Seems to be the most economical of the bonded flange drains.

I was curious what this tub had for waterproofing, as I mentioned before, the shower stall in the ensuite was built like a boat, thick fiberglass over plywood. The walls in the tub/shower were just tile over drywall, and the tub has vapour barrier poly for waterproofing! What a joke. Why waterproof the shower so much and the tub so little? Doesn't make sense. No major damage yet though, wood under the poly still solid, so far.
Attached Images

Unread 03-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #17
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jesse, what's in the last picture? Is that the curb and what is it made of?

Is it too tall to use as your shower curb and is it in the right location?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #18
TileStuff

I'm currently demolishing the old tub. Chipped off all the tile, now breaking apart the mud. The photo up there is the wall of the old roman tub. Was just mud over plywood with that thinner-than-a-grocery-bag old vapour barrier, with staples and nails all over it, and it's over 40 years old, can't believe the plywood underneath is fine, so far.

Here's a a more bird's eye view of the whole operation, showing the outside of the bathtub wall.

It's in the right location, but it's 2x6 and much too tall to use for just a shower. Too bad there wasn't a drain for a roman tub, I probably could have just chipped out and replaced the drain, then redgarded the mud and kept the tub. Oh well, no proper drains readily available and had no idea how bad it was underneath without digging.

Can anybody help me with that AlinO brand drain?:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ali...el-/1001209689

Any bonded flange drain works with either sheet or liquid membrane, from what I understand, so this thing should be fine?
Attached Images

Unread 03-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jesse, until this thread I'd never heard of that AlinO drain. Looks like a Kerdi knock-off, but I can't find any information about what it really is, what it is supposed to bond to nor what it's supposed to bond with.

If you wanna guess that it is compatible with whatever waterproofing membrane you wanna use, that's entirely up to you. If you find any technical data or installation instructions from the manufacturer, please do give us a link.

[Edit] OK, I found some rudimentary instructions saying a waterproof membrane is installed using "Modified mortar." Nothing more specific than that. I found nothing at all about meeting any tile industry or plumbing industry standards.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 03-05-2020 at 10:28 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #20
TileStuff

Yes, looks like a "knock off" or, another option at this point. Don't know how to tell if it's certified. They have the full shower kits and such with sheet membrane. Looks like a Canadian company, or resaler and rebrand of something else. I guess I'll email them about using redgard.

Is the kerdi drain compatible with liquid membrane? Looks like people use it with liquid membrane, but I can't find any documentation about it. Is laticrete the only liquid membrane drain?

I really just need someone to tell me what drain to get for liquid membrane bonding without divot and old 3 piece. I see lots of examples but I can't find anything about the mythical liquid membrane drain, other than laticrete, which is very expensive and difficult for me to get through international order.
Unread 03-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #21
speed51133

you can do whatever you want, but the kerdi drain is only approved for use with kerdi.

https://www.kbrs.com/

take a look at this supplier....
Unread 03-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #22
TileStuff

Not trying to do what I want, I'm trying to find a bonded flange drain meant for liquid membranes. Is the laticrete one really the only option?
Unread 03-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #23
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jesse, I've never used a Laticrete drain so maybe someone else will chime in on that.

When you were talking about keeping the roman tub, the paint on membrane was my first choice due to the odd shape. Folding a surface membrane or pan liner would be tough in a roman tub. But, now that you're going to turn it into a shower, I'd use a traditional pan liner with a preslope. Others here will suggest a surface applied membrane, which is fine too.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #24
makethatkerdistick

Are you trying to save a few dollars by looking into these knock-off drains? I understand the sentiment but think that saving on the drain would be ill advised. Whatever you decide to use for water proofing, get a suitable drain from a reputable manufacturer.
Unread 03-07-2020, 01:26 AM   #25
TileStuff

I looked into the AlinO drain cause it's locally available, which means it's been CSA approved, which means I would trust it regardless of whether it's a "knock-off". What I'm trying to do is find any bonded flange drain that'll work to use with a redgard pan liner. The laticrete hydroban drain seems like the only one specifically for a liquid membrane, but they probably only certify for hydroban, even though it looks like it's perfectly fine to use any bonded flange drain with either liquid or sheet membrane, from what I'm seeing. Makes sense I guess, they're all drains you bond to. Too bad Custom Building Products didn't make a drain to reduce this confusion.

Davy, I did the traditional pan liner for the shower stall in the master for my first go at a bathroom reno:

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=127255

I'm happy with how it turned out, but I'm looking to try a more modern method this time.

Last edited by TileStuff; 03-07-2020 at 03:38 AM.
TileStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 01:38 AM   #26
Kman

Jesse are you located in Canada?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 03:34 AM   #27
TileStuff

Hi Kevin, yes, I'm in Canada.

Not bad for a tub built in 1976 with thin poly vapour barrier beneath fat mud float, nails throughout. A bit of discolouration in the plywood but no serious rot or softness anywhere. Bit of mold and drywall damage on one of the ledge corners but that's it. Pretty amazing, I thought there'd be some ugliness for sure once I found out it wasn't fiberglassed like the ensuite.
Attached Images

Unread 03-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #28
Kman

Have you tried Laticrete's Distributor Locator? Even if one is a distance from you, you may get shipping directly from them.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #29
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, I think Ardex makes a product very similar to Kerdi-Coll, and, they will warrant its use with Kerdi.

I do think that you could use a drop-in tub and seal the tub-wall after installing their (often optional) flange kit to Kerdi, or similar sheet materials or Kerdiboard, etc. I really would have liked a 7' tub, but could only fit a 6' one when I did my remodel. A 60" one, is just too small for most adults...fine for children, though. They tend to be available in 6" increments, starting at 5'.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #30
TileStuff

Thanks Kman, I'll try calling a couple places on there and see what's available. Currently I have to spend about $160 to get a Hydroban drain, and doesn't really seem much different from the Kerdi.

Makes me wonder if I should bother with the Hydroban drain, but I'll call around and see if I can get a decent price. Seems very similar to the kerdi, and even if I get the hydroban drain I'll still be out of spec using redgard instead of hydroban liquid.

I emailed AlinO, they told me their drain is fine with redgard, but then tried to persuade me that their membrane is better, of course. AlinO is cheaper and appears to be a Chinese knockoff, but they offer a warranty (if you use all their stuff, like everyone else) and if they're sold at the local home depot they're fully CSA certified, so it can't be crap. Might go that option.

looks like no matter what, if I'm using regard there's no approved bonding flange install. I'd have to go divot and 3 piece, which I don't want to do, and I don't want to waste senseless money ordering equivalent products just so everything matches. I doubt anyone would fulfill a warranty claim on my DIY job anyway, and like everyone here says, if it fails, it was probably 99.99% my fault, not the product.

So unprofessional advice, would you buy the Kerdi for $100, doesn't offically work but surely higher quality, AlinO for $80, save a few shekels and they say it works, or spend a possible $160 on the hydroban drain, the only one specifically for liquid membrane, even though they only warranty their own liquid. I haven't looked into it but I might need need to get their wall board and everything for the warranty to work. So I'm not necessarily looking for the full certified warranty, I just want a system that will work.

Jim, I've kinda shied away from the dropin option because I couldn't find any 7 foot tubs, especially anything with a flange, and a partway flange down the fourth side as I would need. If you know of anything that'd work please let me know! I'm almost set on the shower now though, but could reverse course if there was a nice tub option.

Last edited by TileStuff; 03-08-2020 at 12:33 AM.
TileStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase