Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #61
Radas
Tile Newbie

Good stuff, thankfully the sink will be floating on a large counter that extends past the half wall that the plumbing is laid out on so no worries there. I'll probably use 100% white silicone then simce my grout is unsanded white.

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #62
Radas
Tile Newbie

A little update. Have the upper cabinets sans fridge panel and fridge upper cabinet finished and got the microwave installed. Then started on the lowers. The super susan, 3 drawer, and 9" cabinet were installed. All were shimmed, face frame leveled, etc... the sink base had to be partially cut to fit the 36" apron sink. 2x4 supports were mounted inside the sink base and adjusted to make the top o the sink level at 34.5". Tomorrow I'll permanently install the sink base, and bring in the appliances before finishing things up.
Attached Images

Unread 01-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #63
Radas
Tile Newbie

I can see the finish line... almost time for glass backsplash

One cabinet and fridge side panel left. Had to do a lot of custom work to get that sink to fit and had to make a custom filler between the sink base and the dishwasher. Finally, did some cleaning up in the sink base for plumbing/electrical and extended the outlet properly using box extensions. Did the same with the microwave cabinet.
Attached Images

Unread 01-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #64
Radas
Tile Newbie

Few more updates.

Added a wall plug to the dishwasher, added cutouts to thr sink base for the dishwasher inlet/outlet, got the bracing wrapped up for the dishwasher panel. I trimmed the half wall behind the sink cabinet for the countertop overhang/seating area. The counter guy came over to measure and template my countertops. I also installed all the door handles (waiting on longer screws for the drawer pulls) and got the fridge panel and fridge cabinet in with Mrs. Ali.

All that's left before backsplash:

Move fridge, shoot trim nails into dishwasher panel, install 1x4 or 1x2 above the upper cabinets to use as a crown moulding nailer, install crown molding, and install new trim all around the kitchen. floor.
Attached Images

Unread 01-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #65
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

Looks great! I'd be willing to bet the next time you and the Mrs. host a few folks over at your home, you WILL get asked to help makeover one of their kitchens. You could post a general budget ( nothing too specific ) and time frame you incurred for other aspiring re-modelers to digest as they contemplate doing the same to their home after viewing this thread.

Again, great job.
Unread 01-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #66
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Greg, I appreciate the compliments. It has been a fun journey so far! It's funny you say that, I've been asked a few times already (although everyone just wants free labor haha).

For those interested, plan on budgeting $9-12 thousand for a kitchen of this scale @ 90% DIY. Also be ready to give up 3-4 weeks of your free time.

It can be done, and the cost savings/bragging rights are worth it.

Here's some more: I screwed up a little crown so I got 75% of it done. I also added nailers for crown that were lined up 100% and screwed into the face frames. All the handles are done, appliances and floors cleaned, and island rolled back in.
Attached Images

Last edited by Radas; 01-23-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Unread 01-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #67
Radas
Tile Newbie

Have done quite a bit of caulking, cleaning up, mudding, etc... before counters were installed today. Also made a custom trim for under the counter as well.
Attached Images

Unread 01-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #68
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Sweet !

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #69
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Paul!

As soon as I finish wiring my 96w 24vdc Transformer and Leviton Maestro for undercabinet lighting, I'll be starting the backsplash.

Do you have any suggestions for cheaper blades that work well with glass? There is a burgundy colored blade from your tutorial video that you recommended, however, that blade is now being manufactured by a different company.

Unread 01-30-2016, 06:40 PM   #70
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Blade choice depends on the glass your cutting. Used to be the T3 razor was the best. Over the last 2 years glass blades have come a long way. The only blade I recommend is the Monolit CPV 250. They make smaller ones then the 10 incher.

Unread 01-31-2016, 06:59 PM   #71
Radas
Tile Newbie

Paul,

Broke down an ordered it. I found a coupon too, so that makes me feel a little better.

Here's the glass I'm cutting too.
Attached Images

Unread 01-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #72
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

You'll be as impressed as I was.

Unread 02-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #73
Radas
Tile Newbie

Well, the blade that cost half as much as my dewalt saw came in today and some Schluter jolly white pvc edging for my backsplash to match the white grout.

I also wrapped up all the remaining aesthetic pieces in the kitchen (crown and scribe molding). Finally, I got my 96w 24vdc dimming led transformer and lutron occupancy/dimmer hooked up to the kitchen lighting circuit. Question for you GCs out here (I know Paul dabbles in other work and I'm sure a few others including CX do too), is there a good way to shield the 14-2 I have running under the cabinet? Metal junction box? PVC floating external outlet box? I've already used wire nuts, electrical tape, and zip tied the corresponding wires together to make sure they don't move.
Attached Images

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #74
Radas
Tile Newbie

Nevermind, figured out the wiring. Now a new question, I checked the layout and my glass tiles fit perfectly with .125" expansion joints on the top and bottom. This is great and not so great... the eall outlets fall exactly in the middle (top to bottom) of my 2nd row of 6x18. Any suggestions for cutting out the openings for outlets?

I was thinking about setting my first row and the 'dry' setting my 2nd row with lots of painters tape to find out where the outlets are with respect to my 6, 12, 18 pattern and using a hole saw to cut out the openings if the outlet falls in the center of a tile. If it falls between tiles, I can use my tile saw's plunge capability to cut the vertical line in the glass and snap it off with pliers.

Does this sound right or is there an easier way?

Unread 02-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #75
Radas
Tile Newbie

Forgot to post pictures
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase