Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
john619

Installation advice for glass mosaic

I have attached the information for the tile we will be using for the full height backsplash wall behind our stove. The location I believe would be appropriate for an epoxy type grout for stain resistance. I have attached the manufacturers recommendations which is great to have and I am thankful that they have published these directions.

They recommend Flexcolor CQ, but that does not seem like a true epoxy and the information says that it helps to prevent water based stains. I am more concerned about oily stains. They also have two other grout selections from the Mapei line. Keracolor unsanded and Ultracolor plus FA which are cement based grouts. We have used Fusion Pro previously in a bathroom and it seems to be performing well. What grout would you use in this application? Mortar recommendation seem proper?

The rest of the kitchen counters and full height backsplash's will be done in Daltile Panoramic Porcelain slabs with a 2 1/4" square edge profile. I have not used this material previously in our primarily commercial interior architecture practice, but it looks very good and the maintenance and upkeep on the porcelain is a piece of cake.

What unusual issues may I encounter with the porcelain slabs that I should be aware of. These will obviously be fabricated and installed professionally, I just want to be aware of any issues I may not have thought of.

Thank you for the recommendations.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DSP_Tresses.pdf (714.9 KB, 36 views)
Unread 08-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
I have attached the manufacturers recommendations which is great to have and I am thankful that they have published these directions.
Mmmm, and why, then, would you seek not to follow those directions?

Some manufacturers of glass tiles do not recommend the use of epoxy grouts with their products. I think you should at least contact the manufacturer before using that type of grout with their glass tiles for which they have recommended cementitious and single-component grouts. While the use of epoxy for a wall behind a stove might be appealing, use of such a grout with a glass tile that will not tolerate it would be less so, seems to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Mortar recommendation seem proper?
Again, if they're the product manufacturer's recommendations, they must be considered proper.

I tried looking up your "slab" selection and found too much information to narrow it down to what you might be using. How 'bout a link to the specific material?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Yes, Flexcolor is non-cementitious and is similar to Fusion which you've already mentioned that you are familiar with.

Epoxies can yellow with UV light and sometimes they aren't flexible enough for glass. But sometimes they are OK.

If the glass manufacturer specifies Flexcolor, though, that's what I'd move forward with.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
john619

Thank you for the response. I will check with the tile manufacturer on the epoxy. Just looking for oily stain resistance due to the location.

The porcelain slab is this one.

https://www.daltile.com/product/Elem...tta&shape=Slab
Unread 09-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
john619

The glass mosaic tile manufacturer's technical department advised that the epoxy grouts are too rigid for the glass mosaic and any movement will cause the glass to break. So Flexcolor CQ2 is what they recommend but I can only find Flexcolor CQ so I am assuming typo on the "2". They also recommended a silicon grout sealer on the grout surface for extra protection.
Unread 09-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Please don’t use a silicone grout sealer without first performing a test to see if you don’t object to the color shift and sheen shift that’s likely to occur to the grout’s appearance. While it will add stain resistance, I severely object to the slight milky and shiny sheen that most old fashioned silicone sealers impose. I have moved away from these old sealers back in the 1990’s.

Modern sealers are of the penetrating type that do not alter the grout’s appearance in any way.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not surprised at the recommendation against the use of epoxy grout.

I trust they said a silicone sealer rather than a silicon sealer, but if you plan to use a grout that the manufacturer says doesn't require a sealer, I'd recommend you use one recommended by the grout manufacturer rather than by the glass tile manufacturer.

For that cut-to-fit porcelain slab material, I'd let the installer or the manufacturer choose the bonding mortar. It'll likely be a LHT mortar, but I don't know that and I don't know how large the pieces you plan to install might be.

Unread 09-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
HenryJ

Installation advice for glass mosaic

Porcelain slabs are fragile especially during the installation process, so u need to take great care, these are susceptible to cracks. Due to the hardness of the surface, porcelain usually chips scratches when encountered with a blunt force. Using porcelain slabs for countertops is fine - but you need to oversee the installation process carefully, but instead of using it on full height backsplash, try using either porcelain tiles or vinyl tiles. You will be able to find a range of options in both categories within your budget.
Unread 09-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john619
Flexcolor CQ2 is what they recommend but I can only find Flexcolor CQ so I am assuming typo on the "2". They also recommended a silicon grout sealer on the grout surface for extra protection.
Flexcolor CQ isn't a cementitious grout so the sealer isn't going to do anything productive.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
john619

Couple more questions

I have removed carefully a mosaic threshold that was installed sloping down to the previous floor. The new flooring is taller so the threshold piece will be installed level with the tile floor this time. I only have Mapei Adesilex P-10 left over from the glass mosaic install. Would this be a successful material to bond the threshold piece back into place? Back of tile threshold still has mortar bed attached.

The other question has to do with the sealer for the Mapei Flexcolor CQ. Mapei has recommended the Ultracare Penetrating Plus water based sealer. It is virtually impossible to find near me. The Solvent Based "SB" product is available but that is not recommended. Which one of the other water based penetrating non enhancing sealers would you recommend?
Attached Images

Unread 09-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. Bonded to what? What is the application?

2. I would recommend you follow the grout manufacturer's recommendation or Jim's recommendation in post #9.

Unread 09-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Chipping is the only real draw back to porcelain slabs. The edges will take the brunt of the abuse, you can repair it but making it disappear completely is not as easy or guaranteed as stone counters.
Unread 09-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
john619

CX, it was set between the reinforced mortar bed that I cut it out from. That thinset prolly not the best but its down and solid.

Post #9 indicated that sealer would not do much. That is contrary to Mapei's technical team saying that a water based penetrating sealer is what is to be used on the CQ for additional protection from oily stains. They describe CQ as a water based acrylic grout. So the question remains, Mapei sealer not available. What is the water based non enhancing sealer that is the "best"
Unread 09-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
john619

Bump, Anyone have any advice on sealers?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase