Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
venuni

Tiles on Hot mop

Hi, I got hot mop done for my shower. Can someone please let me know how should the tiling be done on hot mop. I would like to ensure it is done right. Thank you.
PS: I am in San Jose, CA. I have city inspection tomorrow to check for any leaks. Hoping to pass the inspection so tiling can start day after. Thanks in advance.
venuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Venu.

Please add that geographic location to your User Profile so it appears in each post and is not lost before we leave this page.

Are you doing the tiling yourself?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
venuni

No, I have a contractor doing it for me. But so far quality of his work has been questionable. Failed inspections, rework etc. So I would like to understand this so I can verify/question.
Unread 09-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, it would be best if you first knew what he planned to do, but.....

Generally, the walls would be covered in CBUs or fat mud (in your area there are probably still mud men available, I think) with either a moisture barrier membrane behind the wallboard or a direct bonded waterproofing membrane on the interior face, then a "mud bed" consisting of sand and Portland cement and not much water would be installed over the hot-mopped floor at a thickness of at least 1 1/2" to follow the slope of the tared floor, which must be a minimum of 1/4" per horizontal foot.

'Bout all I can tell you on a generalized question such as you've asked.

Find out what he plans and we can tell you if it's satisfactory. Only thing you can do in the interim is to measure the slope of the hot-mopped receptor to determine if that part was done correctly.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You could pour some water into the pan and see if it leaves any puddles as well.

In a shower, the waterproofing is the liner (in your case, hot mop). Neither the tile nor grout are considered the waterproofing, and code calls for the pan to be sloped to the drain so that any moisture that gets there has a chance to drain out naturally via gravity. In this type of shower, the mud bed tends to remain damp, with water flushing slowly through it after the first few showers. If it can't flow out, it can accumulate, and that's when things start to fester and smell often leaving the grout damp and promoting mildew.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
venuni

Thank you. I will check with him and post.
Unread 09-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would check the weepholes in the drain to make sure they are clear of tar.

In 45 years, I've probably torn out 10 showers that had a moldy smell. And, none of them had a preslope and most had clogged weepholes. From my experience, when the shower is installed correctly, it's not as big a problem as some would like it to be.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
venuni

I was told mud, mesh wire and then tile is how the finishing will be done. Can you please advise the best way this needs to be done. I have a feeling they don't know too. I overheard them saying they need to check YouTube videos.
Unread 09-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd ask them how much experience they have doing mud work. You shouldn't have to teach them anything. It's not rocket science but there are a lot of important details involved. Even having the correct mud recipe and having it properly mixed is very important to get it to stay on the wall.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #10
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuni
I overheard them saying they need to check YouTube videos.
yikes

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase