Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
qwertyjjj

Kerdi shower pan with center drain and kerdi heat?

Need some help on this since all the videos show it with line drains.
I want to install a 40x60 shower pan with the kerdi drain in the center then kerdi heat and cable.
Do I have to make the drain level with the pan or level with the ditra heat layer?
Ie is the install: pan, drain, membrane, ditra heat, more membrane
Or
pan, ditra heat, drain, membrane?

I figure the heat layer might let water channel through unless you thinset the entire thing?
Unread 07-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Best to run this by Schluter, but my take on their instructions would have you apply this over your preslope, attach the drain so the top surface was even with the top of the DitraHeat surface, then apply Kerdi over it so that there was no ridge to the drain.

There are some warming wires that do not require a waterproof covering like Schluter does. Personally, I'd prefer to keep moisture away from the electricity. Yes, the insulation should do that, but still.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
qwertyjjj

So, thinset across all the ditra heat and then membrane the entire rectangle? My worry is that if water somehow gets under the membrane, the channels in the ditra heat will send it straight to the gap between subfloor and drain pipe

Or do you cut a circle out of the ditra and fit the drain in there?

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 07-26-2020 at 08:16 PM.
qwertyjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

You'd want to contact Schluter, but I'm not sure they'd like the plastic drain sitting on top of a potential heating wire, but you should easily be able to avoid that if required.

You'd have to play with the relative thicknesses of the various components, but I think the edge thickness of the drain might match up (after thinset underneath) about with the height of the DitraHeat membrane if you were to leave a circle cut out of it for the drain.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 07-27-2020, 05:18 AM   #5
qwertyjjj

How would the water run:
Tile, membrane, drain?
Membrane "joined" to drain by thinset?
I believe there's a circular piece of membrane that comes with the drain kit also.
Unread 07-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
Kman

The membrane is bonded to the top face of the drain with mortar, just like it's bonded to the floor and walls.

If you want to make sure you have no leaks, wait a day or two after the membrane is installed and flood test it

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

If you install the Kerdi membrane properly, including to their drain body, nothing below it should ever get wet. You do want the top surface of the drain body to be flush with the top of the DitraHeat mat, so that the water on top of the Kerdi will be able to flow properly with the tile, and, while there won't be much to actually flow, below the tile through the thinset into the drain. Excessively thick layers of thinset between bonding surfaces will wick moisture, so that's why you want the drain flange to be even with the DitraHeat mat's top surface so you won't have excessive thinset thickness when bonding the Kerdi in place.

Keep in mind, this is called a surface applied waterproofing method...anything below is in a dry zone. There are no weep holes in a Kerdi Drain like there are in a mud bed, conventional shower drain assembly.
Unread 07-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
qwertyjjj

Awaiting a reply from schluter.
In this instance I need a full 40x60 cut piece of membrane over the ditra heat?
Unread 07-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
qwertyjjj

I think I found it. Video from 1:20 onwards.
You cut a piece of ditra heat and put it underneath to raise the level:
https://youtu.be/2Ui26uQbJjo
Unread 07-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #10
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

WIth using Kerdi, the size of the sheet used is irrelevant, other than convenience...it will work fine as long as you get at least a 2" overlap with either the main sheet(s) or KerdiBand over the joint (thinner). The drain itself has a Kerdi compatible layer to create the bond/waterproofing on the drain.

Unless they've added another version, Kerdi is a meter wide.
Unread 08-01-2020, 01:57 AM   #11
qwertyjjj

Space around valve to seal?

How much space do I need to leave around the valve or can I just seal it up tight?
Unread 08-01-2020, 05:09 AM   #12
Redlands Okie

Space around valve to seal?

If your talking about the shower on and off valve keep in mind that the cover plate often times has two screws that are a bit out from the center of the valve. Your fasteners or fastening methods may vary but keep them in mind before sealing off.
Unread 08-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #13
qwertyjjj

Does the floor of the pan need membrane or only the corners, sides, and drain?
I've seen both methods but I assume the pan is waterproof by itself apart from the sides
Unread 08-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #14
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Don't think I saw it above, what kind of "pan" are you using?

Not that it matters really, if I recall correctly you need the membrane over the Ditra Heat. And even it it turns out that Schluter says you don't need the membrane I wouldn't want water collecting in all the mortar that is needed to fill the DH mat.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
qwertyjjj

A kerdi 38x60 pan that I have to shorten to 50" and maybe have 1" if mud mortar bed on one side to fill the gap.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase