Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
bbxrider

glue pvc to bathroom tile

to finish the edging on the wall niche, to which I didn't give enuf thought or planning I admit, I want to glue some pvc trim around the edges, to finish the transition from the mosaic tile in the niche to the wall tile

not sure if I'm over thinking now, but what adhesive to use?
first to bond the pvc to the tile and then to have it waterproof enough for how much water will splash on it from the shower and especially at the bottom where probably some water will run out from the base of the niche

any good osi or locktite or ??? polyurethane should do?

the locktite poly label says it is good for usage both on pvc and tile
Attached Images

Unread 05-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum. Is there a first name we can call you? It doesn't have to be your real name, just something shorter than what's in your signature line now.

I can't tell from your pictures what the rest of that PVC trim looks like. Do you have any pictures of the ends or the other side of it? Generally, I would recommend a piece of Schluter trim for that. It has an anchoring leg that sits under the edge of the tile so you don't have to glue it. Here's a link to it.

Another random question: Is the bottom of the niche sloped so that water will run out and down the wall?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
bbxrider

thanks for the reply, I thought my login, bbxrider, would show as my name, so thats it, its too late for a schuler trim, the tile is set, there is a slope on the niche base, and with that I'm making sure the bottom trim needs to be flush with niche bottom so any water run off will not collect like behind a dam I'm changing the trim to a flatter, less vertical height and the trim will surround the niche like a picture frame
I used pvc board for the window top, sill and jambs, did a terrible job cutting the tile to meet the window trim, will try first to finish it with the matching grout color caulk, if I can't get that to look ok, I will be putting more pvc around the window frame
Attached Images

Unread 05-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
Redlands Okie

glue pvc to bathroom tile

If I had the choices you have listed I would use a urethane caulk. They can be a bit slow to cure (dry) but would probably work well. I would not like something that gets hard and brittle as a glue. Others on this site have much more experience and hopefully will post something.

I realize its not fun but perhaps you might consider starting over on that.
Unread 05-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
Kman

Boxrider, if you'll click on your user CP and signature line, that's where you enter your name.

So is the tile on the bottom of the niche already set in place with mortar? I'm asking because I don't see any mortar between the tile, which would be unusual for a small tile like that.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
bbxrider

thanks for replies again,

starting over is not an option

locktite has a polyurethane that looks pretty good,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...5293/203163736
I will rough up/scratch up the tile surface area of contact, it should be fine with the pvc, its not like it has to hold any weight

thanks for the tip on the username, could not find that
I'll post a finished pic

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase