Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
shelzmike

Oscillating tool just gave up the ghost suddenly

Working on a tile job and it was my first and I will admit that I have quite a bit of thinset ooze to clean out of the grout lines. No big deal really as my oscillating tool with a carbide blade has been working very well. It isn't anything special, was gifted to me and I'm not one to not use a tool, especially gifts. Dremel Multimax MM20. It has basically been pretty sock solid but I think I found it's weakness that I'd hadn't thought of. Extended use and heat in the motor body. Honestly thought nothing of it because the outside nor the exhaust air were hot really. Warm, yes, but hot? Didn't seem like it.

Suddenly, it made a loud racket, higher RPM (sort of OPM maybe?). The blade was oscillating erratically or not at all. At this time, I had ran it for about an hour with no problems, took a break for about half an hour, then started back. 10 minutes later it broke.

I opened the head up and all looked pretty good. The bearing was smooth but the main body under the bearing was hot as a MF. After further inspection, there is a little aluminum "U" shaped piece. What happened is one side of that U has broken off. It looks pretty damn thin to me from the get go.

Of course it is beyond my warranty period, so I have an excuse to upgrade. I am a big DeWalt fan (in all honesty, Milwaukee is probably my overall favorite, but they are better for pros and I can't justify the costs, and in my experience and research DeWalt is a good trade off for quality (most of the time) v. price.

I have 20V XR tools so have the batteries I could use for a cordless dewalt, but I tend to shy away from tools that intend on running for longer periods of time in lieu of corded. No clue if that is a valid concern or not.

What are some of the oscillating tools you guys and gals have been using that have a proven track record with your usage?
Unread 05-13-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
HS345
Tile Contractor

Fein corded. The DeWalt cordless oscillating tools have an odd over fast oscillation. I still have my original Fein tool that is about 20 years old, but recently picked up a newer model with tool-free blade changes. Just got the basic model with variable speed motor. I couldn't be happier. The only caveat is, it only accepts Starlock blades, so the blades from my old Fein don't fit. No biggie, I love the quick blade changes.

https://feintools-online.com/multima...0qsl-250w.html
Unread 05-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #3
Redlands Okie

Oscillating tool just gave up the ghost suddenly

Would think any of the main line brands such as Fein, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch would work fine. Corded might be best if its being ran for long periods of time. I would avoid the box store brands stuff like craftsman, kobalt, husky. Something that fits multiple blade types would be handy and tool less blade changes.
Personally have a old corded Bosch and a several year old Milwaukee that has held up well.
Unread 05-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
shelzmike

Quote:
I would avoid the box store brands stuff like craftsman, kobalt, husky.
That goes without saying! Thanks for the input.
Unread 05-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I'd go with the original that started it all. My Fein Multimaster has been going strong for about 12 years. It's built like a tank. At $165, I think it's a great deal if you're going to use the tool regularly and don't want the expense of having to buy a tool twice.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 05:28 AM   #6
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

I have burned up a few DeWalts but my original Fein that is very old is still working as good as it was when new. Get a Fein.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

When Makita finally changed their cordless to a toolless blade change it became my favorite. If I need a whole lot of use in one place I'll get out my Fein corded tool, but that's rare. Far more often I want the convenience of cordless.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
shelzmike

My hand was a little bit forced as I needed something right away. I was eyeing the Fein corded but I'd have had to order it and didn't have the time. I made the decision to purchase the Dewalt XR (NOT atomic version) since I was already on the platform. I also found a great price match on a 2 pack of the 5 AH batteries (matched with Amazon, 70 off..they were pretty mad but still honored it), so I bought those as well, From what I read the Dewalt had outstanding reviews and was a decent price, so picked that up. I used it last night and here is my really quick impressions.

It is a really great tool out of the box. It clearly has more power than my original Dremel corded did (I haven't checked the specs to compare, but I'd bet the OPM's are much higher with the Dewalt. It performed really well. I used it for about 2 hours straight, with only about a 15 minute break in there. A single battery lasted me the entire time, with still power to spare. That was running it on #2 speed, trigger locked in. I was impressed by that.

It did get hotter quicker than the old Multimax did, but seemingly only at first. After a little while, it didn't seem to get as hot. It is very balanced IMO. I really like the variable speed trigger to get in the more delicate spots.

My one, very minor issue, is that it grips and pulls more than the multimax did. Meaning, if I am holding it a certain way and am not holding tightly, it would pull forward of the way the blade was facing, a tricky notion if you are grinding thinset from grout lines!

Actually, there is one more issue I had with it. Again, not a big deal, but worth nothing. The blade is mounted closer to the body of the tool on the DeWalt meaning it ultimately can't go as deep as the multimax did. Not a problem as I don't need to go that deep, but did notice the tool being much closer to the tile when it was further in. Thanks again for all of the responses!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase