Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
john619

Exterior tile application to CMU?

I have a client that would like to upgrade their outdoor bbq area with a fireplace on one side of the CMU enclosure and a built in BBQ area on the other side. I have attached a photo that explains what the intent is conceptually.

We intend to frame these areas out of metal studs where required to accommodate the fireplace depth, and of course the BBQ counter and worksurfaces as well. These would then be sheathed in cement board for tile application. Looking for any ideas or concerns that I should be aware of.

I am thinking that waterproofing would not be needed.

There will be areas where the tile would be applied to the CMU without framing. What needs to be done to the CMU in that situation?

I know I will have more questions, but I wanted to hear what you smart folks have to say.
Attached Images

Last edited by john619; 05-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.
john619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer, John.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
john619

Ok, I figured out the photo issue!

Comment away all............

I am looking at TCNA W202E-16 for application to the CMU, and W244E-16 for application over metal framing.
Unread 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
john619

Bump
Unread 05-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
john619

First question. On the fireplace feature side there will be essentially a 20" or so furred out section to receive the firebox, above the firebox it will return back to the CMU wall. on either side of the fire place section there will be about 18" tall by the 20" depth sections that form something like tables on each side.

These tops will have a positive slope to shed water. 1/4" per foot minimum. These horizontal surfaces will then get tied back into the tile applied to the CMU wall. I am concerned about waterproofing and structural strength of the substrates. The table like sections someone will definitely stand on. I propose having some exterior grade plywood under the cement backer board for strength. 1/2" - 3/4" plywood.

Then a liquid applied waterproofing membrane would come down the cmu wall and transition to the cement backer boards on the fireplace enclosure to attempt to keep things watertight.

Am I headed in the correct direction?
Unread 05-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
john619

317 views and no responses?
Unread 05-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Kman

How do you propose to tie the horizontal surfaces into the block wall? Is there any reason they couldn't also be made of concrete block?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Neither tile, nor cement, nor grout is waterproof, so the metal studs underneath would be subject to moisture and therefore rusting. You really might want to consider waterproofing. Another hassle you may have is heat depending on the fireplace for any waterproofing.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I would tend to agree, why not use block and keep it all the same instead of mixing wood, metal and cbu. My initial thought is to use Ditra on the block for movement, Kerdi the seams of Ditra for water proofing on the vertical. Kerdi on on horizontal planes.

I would make a call to Schluter and Laticrete and others and gets some feedback. Thats a unique situation, and personally I'd want a manufacturer to say they'll back it. Whatever you chose, I'd have them there when you get going on that part and get there approval in person. Looks like you'll have some money tied up, easier to sleep when someone else is backing your warranty with you.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase