Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
JD123

Freestanding tub inside tiled shower area

Hi all, I am doing a bathroom remodel and am planning on putting the tub and shower in one end of the room rather than building a separate shower stall.

The floor area will be approximately 5ft x 7ft with a tub kitty cornered on one side and shower head on the wall opposite. The tub is freestanding and will sit flush on the floor. Planning on a single curb across the front and a glass wall extending along the curb in the shower area. Thinking of either a linear drain along the curb or sloping toward the shower. Nothing has been framed or plumbed yet.

How do I include a 2nd drain for the tub in my pan and make it watertight?

The subfloor is already sloped toward the curb. How do I deal with this? Just put the PVC on top of it? Spend a bunch of time leveling it and then do the preslope?

Also there is a window in the middle of the wall between the shower area and tub area, how should I waterproof this from the inside?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

You'll have to run a riser through the shower floor and use a liquid waterproofer between it and the shower floor membrane. Looks to me like that's gonna be a mess to clean up and keep dry.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
Tilehelperdan

If your inspector and tub design allow it you can let the tub drain onto the shower floor.

If you have to run a drain line for the tub, CPE would be a better choice for pan liner. Pre pitch it, and install the pan as usual adding a hole for the second drain line. Cut a 12" square of chloraloy and heat it gently with a heat gun. While warm work it over a piece of 1 1/2" box. After a while you'll end up forming what looks like a top hat. Cut the hole for the drain, slip over the pipe gluing the new price to the pan with noblesealant and using nobleweld to glue to the drain line. Flood test. Float. A second layer of waterproofing is advisable.

Realize that this isn't a usual situation and there aren't any specs written for it. The above was given to me by noble during a similar job.

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
-"Invictus" by William Ernest Henley
Tilehelperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
Kman

Is the window frame metal, wood, or plastic?

What waterproofing are you using on the walls?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase