Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
WilliamL

Husqvarna TS250 XL3...apologies to Andyl & Husqy (in post#32 for jumping the gun)

I just got one the other day and for the life of me I cant get the thing aligned.
I get it close, maybe within a light 1/16th. I dont mean to sound harsh but for the money I feel this is too far off. Anybody else have this problem?
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

What material are you cutting? What blade are you using and is it sharp?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
John K

Bill,

Don't feel bad, had mine a couple of years and still can't get it aligned. Even had their engineer on the phone( mine is Felker) and he's a great guy by the way, but still a 16th off. My remedy was draw a line and follow the line. If I have to cut material down I use my Dewalt or my recently fixed Imer v2.

www.precisiontilestone.com
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Bill,

Normally, we would have Andy Lundberg himself here to help you out, but this week is Coverings, and Andy is heading up his delegation to the show. Right now he's feverishly working to get the booth (and the Tile Your World couch) set up in time for tomorrow's opening.

I will ping him, though, and get him here next time he finds a way to get online. In the meantime, you should call Felker/Husqvarna and get one of their tech guys.

From my experience with that type of saw, the holes in the rails are oversize. You probably know that, but I've got to mention it. You loosen the bolts holding in the rails and move them from side to side. You can do that from either or both ends of the water pan. That is the only adjustment. Wish we could get you more immediate help.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
andyl
Products Manager, Felker/Target Tile Saws

Hi Bill
I am at coverings. The best bet is to call David MCCale at the plant. 800 288 5040. He can help you. The saw can be aligned to cut very accurately. Have you checked alignment of the cart to the blade using a carpenters square? If the saw is square then but still won't cut tile square then it has to be a blade / material issue rather than the saw. If the saw is not tracking strait the alignment can be adjusted. Give Dave a call.

http://husqvarnacp.com
andyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

I would loosen the bolts and move the rails around, mine didn't cut straight when i got it and its about 2 months old now. I loosen the rails and got it straight and re tightened them, you need patience to get the rails straight if they aren't straight but your cart is rolling straight the cart will jump off the rails, i shouted a few obscenities while trying to align mine but it paid off i cut marble yesterday for base and the cuts were dead on from piece to piece.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Arimert

What i do with my dewalt is make many pases using the plung cuting a 1/16 at a time cut's perfect every time
if you think about it pushing the tile in to the blade by the time you get to the end it will be of 1/16 -1/8 no matter if the blade is sqaure to the table or not.
Arimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
WilliamL

Angry

Sorry I havent responded, I was up till 2:00 am working on the darn thing.
I have tried to adjust and tweak the rails-forever actually. It is definatley not the blade, I am seeing a sixteenth off with a new framing square.( yes, I checked the square). Not even I am dense enough to cut stone that is getting a
16th grout joint being a 16th off end to end.
Problem is that I have to cut 500 square of limestone down from 18x18 to 16x16 and 6x6's.
I bought the saw just for this job!
When I try to align the left rail, I get it close. The front part of the rail I have to go all the way to the right and the back of the rail goes all the way to the left, this puts me within a 16th.
I rigged it by loosening the back pan guide and shimmying the pan to the left just to get the job moving, I am running out of time and I cant run a 1400 dollar saw like that for long.
Do I try to enlarge the adjustment slots to give me more margin?
Thanks so much for the replies, I know coverings tends to shut down the tile industry for the week.

Last edited by WilliamL; 04-20-2009 at 06:55 PM.
WilliamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
tilelayer

what blade is on the saw? I know when i bought mine it came with a blade, i threw it in my garage I'll never use it, i think the superlock blade stinks. And you played with the allen key adjustments too? Do you have the spring under tension for the mitre box feature of the saw, when i put mine together i had the spring too tight and the arm that bolts through the saw frame needed to be loosened the one that has the 3 holes on it for the 3 blade sizes, i loosened that up and took some tension off the spring. I'd try that.

Unread 04-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
WilliamL

Rick,
What allen key adjustments?
I think the whole cutting head assembly was set up wrong, from my distributer.
I think the order goes: tension spring, set collar, blade pivot limiter?
By the way, I have 2 set collars. Where does the second one go?
Would it be possible to take a pic of the cutting head assembly( underneath) and post it here?
One more question;
the arm used to stop the blade from dropping too far when plunge cutting(its late and forgot the name) the one that bolts into the belt guard. I have like an inch of space there when I center the blade in the tray. Do I tighten this up? It seems that that over tightening this could cause mis alignment.
Between the 5 stitches this thing gave me in my thumb plus the alignment issues I'm ready to throw this thing on the tree lawn.
Thanks for the help!
Unread 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
tilelayer

well, if you throw it on the lawn i will come pick it up. I have a thread somewhere with some pics. The one collar starting from right to left it is at the end and pretty much flush with the bar the saw motor mounts on. Then theres another adjustment under the motor plate that just keep the blade from cutting through the cart, i haven't even touched that. Then theres another collar i think on the outside of the motor mount and then the spring adjustment for the saw. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=70613

check out post #20

Unread 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
WilliamL

Smile

Rick,
Thanks. I am not throwing it out, I was have a 1am temper tantrum.
I actually slipped with a wrench because I was so tired and cut my hand open, needing 5 stitches.
I had no owners manuall and the saw was set up incorrectly.
I am going out there after dinner to fix it.

Andy,
Thanks for the reply, I called Dave from the plant. Very good guy, called right back and talked me through everything. That is why I bought the saw, to have a company back me up in case something goes awry. Very good customer service, although I am demanding a free t-shirt because I lost one to huge blood stains! PM me for the shipping address.

I will post later tonight to let everybody know I got it aligned, I know everybody is losing as much sleep as I am over this whole thing.
Unread 04-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
John K

He talked me through it as well and still isn't aligned. But yes a very nice guy.

www.precisiontilestone.com
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
WilliamL

2 hours later and still not close. This thing is going back and getting exchanged for a Dewalt.Say what you want about the Pearls but I NEVER had this much trouble.
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
tilelayer

I vote you throw it on the lawn and let me pick it up, I'll make it straight.

Heres how I got mine, first off it the blade centered in the cart? If not loosen the 2 set collars, and the 4 bolts under the motor that have lock washers on it. Take the arm off the saw that has the plastic nob that it atached to the belt cover. Your saw should be loose to slide on the frame. Now use a dead blow hammer and hit the motor mount in the back until the saw is perfectly centered in the cart. Now slide your collars over and tighten them with an allen key. tighten the 4 bolts under the saw so they are snug alittle. Put the arm back on the saw where the belt cover is tighten everything up. Now but the square on the cart and see whats going on. If its still out loosen the rails an adjust. I used my eye to get mine straight and a tile instead of a square i rested the tile on the cart and next to the blade and pushed it the cart and listened if the blade rubbed the tile harder.

I will agree though that the workmanship of the saws has decreased the shop I work out of has a blue Tilematic 5 years old its built better then my new one like yours, I had a 1996 model Blue Tilematic I sold, it was built better then the shops saw and now i wish i just kept it, so honestly I am trying to find another Blue saw thats used because mines way to fragile. I already broke the pulley on my saw and its 2 months old.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase