Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Drive by Tile Estimates

Here's a new one for us. We are on a big job doing prep. The 1st phase is 1000/ft 16 x 16 square edge travertine w/ 1/16 joint, and 2 showers. Slab is a mess. Lots of grinding to get it into spec. All baseboards are installed. NO SHOE! All cuts to baseboard w/ heavy 1/16th at BB. Lots of closets and jogs. Showers are to be Kerdi. A tile company estimator pulls up on the job site last weekend and wants to give an estimate to the homeowner. They are looking for work. Their bid comes in at a little over 1/2 of ours. Spent all day yesterday with the G/C and owner trying to play Lets Make A Deal. Only one problem....we didnt want to play. I guess they forgot about the signed contract. The company that gave the bid uses those guest workers as Mr Bush calls them. What is this business comming to? Has this been happening to any of you out there? My guys have families, mortgages, and some day have to retire. I didnt spent 20 years working towards minimum wage!!

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

That was pretty messed up. It's as bad as the other thread where the guy's working on the reservation; they had him do all the hrd work and now their neighbor is going to finish it.

I went to see a woman yesterday to bid her countertops. Drove 15-20 miles(?) I normally never do countertops. But times are tight. The job would be: disconnect a garbage disposal;remove sink,old tops, trash them, new ply, CBU, 12" granite special edging backsplash with all polished edges, little pieces under edging on face, provide all setting materials and spectralock grout. Then reinstall sink and disposal. I told her it would probably take 4 days. $1500. ( i have no idea; like I said I don't do tops) With granite it was $2200. She told me some Indian guy who has a granite shop quoted her $1350. That's all materials installed. Everything. The only response I could give her was " wow, that's inexpensive." Like I said. That McDonalds manager job is looking better everyday.
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, LVT, Home Renovation Contractor

All I can say is
It's bad enough to have to prove yourself and qualifications before getting the job then to have to do it all over again during a job. That sucks.

Let us know what the outcome is if you continue or have to pack up and leave so the foreigners can finish it for you.

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

people these days have no idea what quality or an Artisan is, they are just looking for a cheap price to get it done. this will come back and bite them within a few years and they will wind up paying over double.

there are some guys that can do good work for a lower price, just now with all the out of work employees of qualified shops out bidding jobs that are un insured, un bonded and un qualified, isnt the time.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
irish tileguy in michigan
Tile Contractor -- S.E. Michigan

Funny you should say that Brian, i was in one of my stores that hand out my name just before the new year and the manager told me he sent out letters requesting contractors to send in copies of there insurence and licences and company cheque to be put on file.Went back in yesterday and the manager showed me the new list, it went from nearly 20 to 5 and two of those contractors havent showed insurence yet.

Yes i was on the list.

Laticrete Hydroban & Schluter Kerdi shower installs
Custom installation of Tile and stone
irish tileguy in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Deiter Company
I've realized that some people don't care so much about quality as they do about price. I myself decided not to lower my standards to meet someones price. There is always someone cheaper. I don't even fight it anymore I just say thanks for letting me bid on this, I hope you get what you want.
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Quote:
A tile company estimator pulls up on the job site last weekend and wants to give an estimate to the homeowner. They are looking for work.
I'd get the estimators phone number, call him up, and rip him a new one...

The only thing I'd say to the homeowner is, "Why would you want an inferior installation when you've bought such expensive materials?"
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
LAN1870
BATHROOM REMODELING

Smile

Quote:
I'd get the estimators phone number, call him up, and rip him a new one...
I agree with this! I had to pass along a little story where I ripped somebody a new one.

I was looking on craigslist where I sometimes advertise and there was somebody offering tile installation at $2.50 a square foot! Well around the nyc metro area, HD and lowes charges $7.50 and $8.00 so I typically price a little below them. There is even somebody advertising at $3.99 a square foot (100 foot minimum) and I won't match that. It simply doesn't pay for me.

So I anonymously emailed the person offering $2.50 a square foot and told them they really give tile setters a bad name by pricing this low. Also told them it makes them look not credible. Well it turns out this person had a sob story and needed the money but might just go back to Florida to be with family. They were a tile setter but what happens if something goes wrong with their customer's job and that person returned to florida.

I've come to realize that most people simply care about price. They'll argue with you that they have a lower estimate. Well then go with the lower estimate! I respect that. But it seemed like they wanted my good work at a lower price. As I always say "You get what you pay for!"

Good tile setting is an experience for customers. I offer flexibility, dependability, honesty, neatness and a pleasant work relationship. Many of my customers told me they specifically chose me because of the quality of my work. Those are customers who are smart and realize that you really do get what you pay for.
Bathroom Remodeling
"Attention To Detail Comes First"
LAN1870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Why were the owners taking estimates after you had already begun working?

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I equate what I'm reading here to going into a Cadillac dealership and telling them that the Chevy dealership down the street has a better price on a sedan.

They could invite me to buy the Chevy, or they could convince me that the Cadillac is better than the Chevy and a better value for the money.

It depends on what kind of salesmen they are.

They would also accept that some people can't or won't buy a Cadillac. Their time is better spent speaking with people who can and will.
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Jack,
This is phase one of a 2 mill remodel. I know the company. This will be the start of their 2nd year is business. He wants to get into phase 2 where all the money is. He wanted to show the owner he is paying way too much for labor by pricing what we are doing. I've seen their work. They are commercial guys who are trying to get into high end residential. The owner is a very rich businessman. Sometimes they dont appreciate what goes into a quality tile job until years later when it has to be re done! Sometimes it's just about price.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
GatelyTile

Thumbs down Drive BUY!!

Hey Dave,

Nothing chaps my BUTT quite as much as when that happens. It is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not too far from you and I know. Generally I'll remind them of the contract and if that doesn't work and I'm ahead of them on dough. I'll remind them that "You get what you pay for" and If you would like to hire them, have at it. I generally won't play ball with a customer like that, once I have done my homework. Don't get me wrong I never get nasty with a customer, but after our discussion of the matter they know exactly where I stand! Well I'm done ranting. Hope everything goes peachy for you! Regards ,,,
Gately

www.nyhomesteader.com

Those who say it can not be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it !!
GatelyTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Theres a big difference between commercial and high end custom tile work. I'd be irritated with the fact that the owner was even looking into it. What kind of refrences does this other guy have in custom homes.

Last edited by Chad Deiter Company; 01-06-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Chad Deiter Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #14
Charles P

I think most people are looking at price and not thinking there is a big diffrence in quility between the two I am dealing with that right now the homeowner refused to pay me but as I was packing up my tools he said "Ill
give you one thing you got to be one of the best tile guys in california" go figure.
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Why did he refuse to pay you Charles P ?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase