Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Warranty

Hi folks,
I know that we've discussed this in the past, but things change and I honestly can't find the thread this morning.
What sort of warranties are you offering? Are your warranties different for commercial work than for residential? How about new construction vs. remodel work? I'd like to get something a bit more formal put together but I don't know where to begin and I am afraid of going too far.
Thanks,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

My warranty- If I f'ed it up.. I'll come fix it... I dont care if it's 3 years later. If it's typical maintenance stuff, material failure, act of god, you're more than likely getting charged.
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Right Alex,
I feel the same way. But I've begun to think that I want to have something more formal on hand in the event that a potential client asks to see it. Hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't mind being prepared for it anyway.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
tilerite

My contracts don't actually specify a warranty, but I answer every call and will repair problems whether related to my work or not, with no time limit and usually no charge. Take care of customers and it comes back to you many times over.
Now, if someone asks me for a written warranty, I'll warrant my work for two years.
tilerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I've written in the contract before having a two year anticrack/delamination guarantee if membrane was used, but i stopped, and haven't ever given any other formal warranties.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

For commercial we of course have the one year warranty. Most people we do work for who might have our number and call two or three years later we'll treat like them as Alex does. I've made the statement before that I don't agree with some of the spec's we see. My voice may not make a difference in the beginning, and if it's a case where we installed it per spec's and it didn't work, I feel I have to charge. Hopefully the customer will call the GC and complain, and he'll call the architect and complain, and next time they'll listen! In the case where you are the spec writer, you have the ability to really stretch out the time of warranty based on the quality of work they are willing to pay for.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Quote:
I've made the statement before that I don't agree with some of the spec's we see. My voice may not make a difference in the beginning, and if it's a case where we installed it per spec's and it didn't work, I feel I have to charge.

I actually wrote out a few real life examples of that in my original post, but deleted it so I wouldnt bore you all to death...

I agree with that policy 100%...
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I put 5 years on anything I do....unless it's Kerdi~~In that case, I just ask the HO "How Old Are You?" Essentially, I tell them I'll guarantee it for as long as they live there.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
khm28043
Bathroom remodeler

Send a message via Yahoo to khm28043
we offer two years for new and remodel work. However, as others have said, if we f'ed it up then it does not matter how long. Doing it right was included in the original cost.
Kevin
khm28043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
jd77
Tile and Stone Setter

We are pretty much like everyone else here. My client list is over 20 years in the making mainly due to taking care of my people.

My biggest problem:

When I go on a warranty call and know I should be charging - I usually don't.

Have been thinking about starting a maintenance program for a few years now. My customers have asked for it and I know they would pay a regular service contract to just have it done. One less thing for them to worry about.

"Consider any individual at any period of his life, and you will
always find him preoccupied with fresh plans to increase his comfort."

Alexis de Tocqueville
jd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Normal here is 1 year.
My cheap landlord who gives me lots of work though knows I'll come fix stuff for for free if it's my screwup that I don't specifically exclude (the tarpaper thing). Had a tenting problem show up after 5 years. Grout to the baseboard on her instructions. I know better. Spent a day off the clock fixing it. Taught me to force soft joints on people whether they want them or not

Considered offering an extended warranty though if the customer agrees to pay to have the job done by all guidelines though. Not sure how long though; 2? 3? 5? years?
Unread 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
rocksolid

Here's what I wrote on the last thread on the warranty subject:

We warrant our work against failure due to defective workmanship and materials for one year from the date of substantial completion. Our liability shall be limited to the written warranties specified herein, and no implied warranties will be given. All warranties are void for projects not paid in full. In the unlikely event of a legal dispute, all parties agree to mediation and arbitration, and the arbitrator's decision is final.

Every time I have a new costly experience, I write a new sentence on my terms. The sentence about the "implied warranty" cost me about $13,000 to learn. I had an unreasonable nightmare customer that I did a job with a 1-year warranty in 2000 that filed a lawsuit against me to replace a 1300 sq. ft. floor 5 years after the warranty expired, and only 10 tiles came loose to begin with. They kept the whole 3-year long ordeal alive with the "implied warranty" plus "discovery" and other lawyerly terms. It's over as of last month (they didn't win), but it really sucked the life out of me and my family for three years, and it cost me $13,000 in legal fees just to defend myself.

Most of my business for the last 9-10 years came from the same 3 or 4 custom home builders, so anytime there is a problem, we'll go and fix it. Since changing to UltraFlex II or VersaBond Flex thinset and using RedGard membrane at surface cracks in floors, we've had virtually no callbacks on around $500K/year worth of tile materials and labor since 2003. Using good materials is cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Good luck out there!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HallCr...78019725597379
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

I like what I hear in this thread it proves my hunch that the vast majority of folks who are progressive enough to seek out knowledge and better themselves stand to be counted on when the time comes.

Formal policy or not I think we're all on the same page. I answer all complaints and concerns with Vigor. We too often do not bill for items that could be billed for or could be aurgued were not our error..It all comes out in the wash as customers come back for the no hassle professional service again and again. And they will pay a premium for it.

I hesitate to offer anything in writting or formally..our customers should know our reputation and record before we get there. On the rare exceptions I am doing something I do not agree with I will get something drafted pertaining to that situation..noting my objections. In all it seems the more legal and verbose it gets the more I stand to get stuck..If someone hands me a contract so long I can't make sense of it I have a turn and walk feeling in my gut.

I believe commercial would be a different scene entirely, but residential to me is about trusting the client/builder as much as they trust you.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Well-Said, Trask.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Does anyone extend the manufacturer's warranty to their clients?

Custom, Laticrete, Mapei, etc. all have warranties. Any reps care to help out here?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase