Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-23-2022, 11:13 AM   #16
tbreihan

Location: St. Louis, MO ("a drinking town with a baseball problem")
Pic one... beam is in! Deflection should now be well within spec for ceramic tile.

Pic two... now that the beam is in, I am starting "Phase 1" of the framing, before moving on to "Phase 2" of the demo.
Attached Images

Unread 06-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #17
tbreihan

Planning ahead, I have another question for y'all.

I am doing a lot of wall tile. The bathroom, butler's pantry, and kitchen will have subway tile on all exposed wall surfaces from the floor up to 4'6 (the bottom line of the wall cabinets).

Now, none of these are wet areas, so I know that I can install the tile over drywall. However, I want to know if it is BETTER to install the tile over CBU. Better from the standpoint of adhesion, strength, and long-term durability.

Drywall is about $.25 per square foot, and CBU ranges from $.65 to $.75 per square foot depending on brand (Wonderboard being the cheapest, then PermaBase, and Durock is the most expensive). So, not a trivial increase in price, but I am willing to spend more if it is demonstrably better.

I want to note that this isn't just a backsplash, but will be tile to the floor in many cases. So, the potential of impacts, etc. is a possibility. Thus my consideration of the best material for strength and durability.

If there is no difference, then I will just use drywall.

So, what say you? Thanks!
Unread 06-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Tim, while there is probably a demonstrable technical difference in favor of the CBU as far as bond strength, I don't think it's within the range of reasonable consideration in your applications.

I would use the drywall.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #19
tbreihan

Thanks, CX.

I've never installed tile over drywall before. Is there anything special I need to do to prep it? Prime first, or apply the thinset directly on the paper? Tape normally with paper tape and drywall mud? Thanks!
Unread 06-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

You don't want to finish your walls beyond Level 1, which is to fill and tape the seams, but not spread any drywall mud beyond that step. Some folks recommend priming after that, but I don't think it necessary. Some folks recommend doing the filling and taping using a setting-type drywall mud rather than the customary pre-mixed drying mud, but I don't think that necessary, either. See my warranty information below.

Yes, there is a substance called ettringite, which can form where Portland cement and gypsum products come together, but I've never experienced it. Indeed, I've seen it only in laboratory microscopic photos in testing facilities, but it can happen. I don't worry about it in applications such as yours. You may, or may not.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase