Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 10-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #5581
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Hey, I have a heated garage, I'm retired, so I don't have to go out when the weather is nasty! Fresh snow is really pretty, and I live in a condo, so someone else plows and shovels (and cuts the grass in the summer). My vehicle can be heated or cooled by getting on the internet or from an app on my phone (no engine, all electric), so that can help, too. While west Texas isn't like what's in the eastern part, I got really bored with it getting 110 day after day on summers in El Paso. Spent a month in Taylor getting my pilot's license, and glad it was only May-June...wouldn't have wanted to be there in July-August! NH has heat and humidity, too, but it rarely lasts all that long, and each day is often different. Kuwait was a pain most of the year. Jordan was interesting, at least in Amman, as there were Roman ruins to explore, and being up on a plateau, the weather was much more moderate...if you wanted to get warm, the Dead Sea was an hour away, but the water is sort of slimy feeling. You can't walk in more than about crotch high as you start to float and tend to fall over! Germany was about the closest to NH. Korea was damn cold in the winter! I was in the army, and we had a communal shower house. My barracks was not attached. After one particularly cold day, I took a step outside to return, I was almost running...the first flip-flop froze to the concrete pad, as I took a step, and I had to peel it off the concrete to move...now, that's cold! the barracks was only about 25' away. Would have been ugly if I'd put my foot down!

ANyway, at least for now, I still like seasons, and don't relish it hot and humid.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #5582
cx
Moderator emeritus

Forecast for Boerne, Texas by Tuesday morning? Two degrees! And that's them little bitty Fahrenheit degrees. What's up with that? Must be some sorta leak in the degree pool. I been down here some 35 years now and coldest I've seen was five degrees back in 1989.

Global warming must be causing it.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2021, 08:45 PM   #5583
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That’s still T-shirt weather for shoveling snow.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2021, 08:59 PM   #5584
cx
Moderator emeritus

We ain't got no steenkin' snow to shovel, Goldstein, but you can come help cut up alla broken limbs from the very heavy ice coating.

Unread 02-12-2021, 10:42 PM   #5585
smifwal

We are in the negative for lows here in KC Sunday we are looking at some north Dakota temps -14 and Snow coming in. Been a pretty good last couple of weeks for us on the snow removal, definitely made the year, things were looking bleak!!!

Last edited by smifwal; 02-13-2021 at 08:52 AM.
smifwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #5586
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
It's another one of those Canadian/Yankee/Commie plots to ship cold weather down here in hopes of warming things a little up north. Well, let me tell you that it's working.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #5587
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, they're calling for 5 and 0 for the lows the next two days. I didn't sign up for this.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #5588
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
We are in the negative for lows here in KC Sunday
Yeah, well, what's the surprise there, Shawn? When I came up there in the winter of 82 or 83 it was -17 as I recall the day we departed. And the wind gusting to 30 mph. Only positive thing I have to say about Kansas City is that all conventions should be held there as it's right dead center of the country. Hell, should move our capital there and maybe our politicians wouldn't be so comfortable and wanna stay there. Although DC ain't no picnic area for climate, neither.

Davy, I think it's just more politics as usual. Why do we waste all them degrees in the summer tryin' to keep the temperature above a hunnert, then run out of degrees to keep us above freezing in the winter? Only government could do that sorta thing. I just wonder how they manage to pay off Mother Nature for her to allow such shenanigans. Surely she wouldn't do this herownself.

(Now I'll prolly get banned for making political posts.)

Unread 02-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #5589
smifwal

it ain't been this cold in February since 2009 (-12) that was a good year for snow or so I am told. I just bought another house and I want to put security cameras up but it is just too darn cold for all that. It is supposed to warm up in to the 40's next week and the 50's the week after.

I wish conventions and training classes were somewhere near here I would attend a lot more, all these things seem to be east or west coast, Chicago or Atlanta, that is a minimum 11 hours away. I did take a trip to Crossville, TN for the Stonepeak panel training my rep at the distributor paid for the class all we had to pay for was getting down there, I would have went even if she hadn't, I think it was $500.00/person (hotel, home cooked lunch, dinner out sat night all you can eat and drink)

I won't tell anyone about your political rants, your secret is safe with me
Unread 02-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #5590
cx
Moderator emeritus

Aw, I ain't really worried, Shawn, don't nobody ever read any of these threads anyway.

You learnt the Crossville Shuffle at Stonepeak from Noah Chitty hisownself?

Not forecast to get above freezing at all here until next Thursday at best. But they've raised the forecast for Tuesday morning to 6 degrees 'steada 2 degrees. That's progress, I guess.

Unread 02-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #5591
smifwal

Dan Liles taught the technical portion of the class, and Todd Ward was the director. They sent me home with a 60'x60' piece of tile I still have sitting in my shop, I think I am going to make a table out of if I ever find the time. Real nice folks and I learned a lot
Unread 02-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #5592
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
They sent me home with a 60'x60' piece of tile...
Now that's a big piece of tile!

Unread 02-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #5593
jerrymlr1

85º and pretty sunny in SRQ today. And the usual, humid.
Unread 02-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #5594
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Now that's a big piece of tile!
yep had to use a crain to load it on my low boy, oversized banners on my lead and follow cars all the way from TN to KC cost me a fortune ????

I guess I forgot to hit shift when I typing that. I might have had a beer or few
Unread 02-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #5595
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jerry, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.
We have a couple inches of white stuff, just enough to cripple folks down here. The whole state of Texas will probably close down for a few days.

On my job, I finally got the plumber out of my way. Now this.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase