Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Soup2Nuts

TEC AccuColor EFX Epoxy Special Effects 3 part epoxy grout

Hi everybody. This site has been soooo helpful to me over the yrs (Thanks everybody) but I need a specific subject addressed now so here goes ...

Tomorrow I'm going to be using TEC AccuColor EFX Epoxy Special Effects 3 part epoxy grout w/ metallic flakes on 12" x 24" rectified porcelain floor tiles with 1/16" grout lines. I've never even used the XT grout much less an Epoxy so I'm a bit nervous (to say the least).

I've thoroughly read the instructions but it says mix the entire contents then to pour all grout out, leaving nothing in bucket, but to only do small areas at a time. WTH?

Can someone with experience with this product clarify this for me please? Especially with walls. How do you pour it all out on a wall? I will be doing walls next but I wanted to do floor first for practice (It's a small floor).

Any other help would be appreciated also. Especially replies like, "Whatever you do, make sure you don't ..." and so on.

Thanks again in advance. I'll expect any/all answers to only come during commercials.
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
I have used the tec epoxy a couple of times and found it is not very user friendly. When they say to take it out of the pail they mean that you should put it on a piece of plywood or cardboard surface. If you leave it in the bucket it will flash a lot sooner because of the heat that the chemical reaction of the epoxy component. This heat will speed up the hardening of the epoxy. Make sure you do this and have help when you grout.
On one occasion the epoxy left a film on the tile which proved difficult to remove. Have plenty of clean water at hand and work quickly.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Soup2Nuts

Sal, I can't tell you how much weight you lifted off my shoulders with your reply. I really thought they meant to pour it out onto the surface being grouted. I'm thinking I will pour it into an aluminum turkey pan that's sitting inside a larger turkey pan that has ice water in it. Sound ok to you?

How much time do you think I'll have to work with it like this?

Also, how much trouble do you think I'll have getting this stuff into 1/16" grout lines?

One more question. These tiles have squared off edges (no bevel whatsoever) will this grout want to slump down below the top of the tiles and/or how would I attempted to minimize this?

Last edited by Soup2Nuts; 09-20-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Soup2Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Soup2Nuts

Bumpity bump bump.
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Tec epoxy tips:

Do your best to pack the grout so that the grout joint and the slight voids around it are filled. If you don't, the epoxy will droop into these areas and you'll have sunken joints that will need "topping off". If you have an epoxy float (it's stiffer than gum floats), you'll be able to force the grout in better.

Next, epoxy is the opposite of cementitious grout when it comes to using water during cleaning up. You need water...don't be shy....BUT....be sure to keep the water out of any joints you haven't filled yet. If this is a small floor, you might wanna just grout the whole thing before cleaning.

You got doodle bugs?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Soup2Nuts

Thanks Bubba.

How long do I have before I MUST start cleaning the tile? And if I'm a minute late does that make cleanup impossible or just a little harder?
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
sandbagger

Tom - is there some reason you're using Tec instead of Spectalock? Sounds like the Tec is a lot trickier to work with. Spectralock's old recipe had the same problem of flashing too fast from its own heat but that is much less of a problem with today's version.

just a thought.....

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Soup2Nuts

Yeah, the customer saw it in the display and just had to have it. I think the metallic sparkles hypnotized her and that was that. Even when she found out the grout was gonna cost $300 and the installation charge an additional $100, she didn't batt an eye. She wants what she wants.

From what I hear, this stuff is easier than Spectalock. Just water to clean, no vinegar. Is that correct?
Unread 09-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
Saldibs

Tom, Keeping it cool is probably a good idea. the warmer the weather the faster it will set. I found that I had enough time to use up all the mixed epoxy grout, but had to move quickly. You should start cleaning the tile right away, don't let it set or you will never get it off, it's been a while since I used it and have no intention of using it again, the last time soured my taste for it. Use spectralock if you can, its a lot easier to use.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Unread 09-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Soup2Nuts

Thank you Sal.

Is there any time frame I can look forward to if I keep it cool? One hour? Four hours? I really have no idea myself so any idea you can give me will be helpful.
Unread 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Saldibs

This is the shower stall I last grouted with the tec epoxy grout http://elitetileco.com/diagonalshowerstall.aspx It took me and another guy at least two hours to do and the grout was starting to really firm up towards the end. I hope this might give you a better idea.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
sandbagger

Sprectralock has some of those sparkles and other things, even glow-in-the dark.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Soup2Nuts

Okay, I did it. Thanks for your help Sal and Bubba.

Everything went better than I expected but not perfect. I will put down what I've learned so others who do a search for this grout will get what they came for.

1st off, everything said here was right on the money. Work fast, and clean tiles right away. But I noticed that even after 4 hrs the leftover grout was still technically workable if you're not trying to shove it into 1/16" grout lines (as I was).

2nd, the tiles were much cleaner (no stickiness) when I didn't go over them more than once. In other words, when I simply scrubbed with the rough side of the sponge and then turned it over and swiped once, the tile was clean. That's what I did on the shower floor and at the end of the day those tiles were smooth and clean. The main floor I got too cute and rubbed too often and those tiles remained sticky no matter what I did. I assume I'll have to do something about that tomorrow. Tec does suggest a cleaner to remove the haze but I forget what that is right now.

3rd, I found it nearly impossible to completely clean one small area without getting some water into the ungrouted area. I tried to dry those areas with a paper towel before going on but those areas drooped anyway so I will have to "top them off" as Bubba said. So I would suggest, and will do when I do the walls, that you do an entire area as quickly as possible (about 20 - 25 mins worth) before doing the scrub rub and swipe. This will keep water out of the open joints.

4th, you can't have too many sponges. I used 8 but should have used more. Once a sponge gets dirty, it's of no use anymore. You will only be spreading around the stickiness. Clean sponges is even more important than clean water because clean water will not clean a dirty sponge. I'd say use 2 new sponges every 9 sq ft and new water and sponges every change of plane.

That's all I can think of now. I'll post pitchurs of what I did today (4'x3' shower floor and 5'x6' main floor) and again when I finish the walls.

Thanks again you guys, because of you it was not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. The walls will be a different story I'm sure.
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Saldibs

To get the sticky stuff off the tile, and it will still be sticky, use "Banish Epoxy residue remover" made by Tec. Follow the directions, let it sit on the tile and do its work don't be in a hurry to get it off and you will have to scrub less.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
Soup2Nuts

Can I do that the next day, or should I wait? Will/should the grout be hard like rock tomorrow or should it still be a little soft? What should I expect to see?

Last edited by Soup2Nuts; 09-21-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Soup2Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase